Solved: Problem with XP and DOS !

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bridgeplayer

I have a friend who doen't like change and when he got a new XP PC he persuaded the supplying firm to set up Lotus smartsuite 2.01 so he wouldn't have to learn anything new as that was what he was used to!

The way in which it has been set up (from his explanation over the telephone)is that the PC supplier has written a batch file that switches the computer to DOS and then runs 2.01. His problem is that when he starts his pc up, it now automatically boots into dos, starting 2.01 and he cannot get to XP or anywhere else. Can anyone please suggest a solution before I goto to his house to try and resolve this.

THX in advance

It's kind of hard to diagnose 3rd hand but they have probably done something with the boot.ini file

Typically Windows halts on startup and offers a choice of what "operating system" to boot into. To see how the current boot.ini file is configured open System Properties and select Advanced > Startup and Recovery.

The boot.ini file options can be viewed (and edited) there.

Careful with this, if you make inappropriate changes you may get no boot at all.

This is my original XP Home, default boot.ini (not the one I use now):

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

Rollin' Rog said:
It's kind of hard to diagnose 3rd hand but they have probably done something with the boot.ini file

Typically Windows halts on startup and offers a choice of what "operating system" to boot into. To see how the current boot.ini file is configured open System Properties and select Advanced > Startup and Recovery.

The boot.ini file options can be viewed (and edited) there.

Careful with this, if you make inappropriate changes you may get no boot at all.

This is my original XP Home, default boot.ini (not the one I use now):

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

Rog

are there any commands he can try in dos to fix the problem like FIXMBR? Just wondering...doc

bridgeplayer

THX guys I'm going to the PC tonight (8 hours from this post as I'm in good old Scotland!!) and I'll let you know outcome

Neil

bridgeplayer

Okay Guys here's what I found (and did)

My "friend" was not running XP as he told me, but W98 !!! :confused:

Once I ascertained this all I did was edit config.sys and autoexec.bat to remove the commands that were to do with the batch file and system reverted to normal.

Apologies if I should ask this in another group but one of the commands I removed was

DOS=SINGLE

Can any one explain what this command does?

THX

Neil

It's one of several different methods by which Win98 can be force started to DOS mode rather than the normal Windows GUI.

It's explained here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/134400/EN-US/?

Another method is to use BootGui=0 in the msdos.sys file on the root directory.

In any case, for him to have really been booting XP to DOS, would have required a FAT32 type of install, not the usual NTFS file system.

I'll mark the thread "Solved", glad the fix was an easier one than expected.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online