1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Problems after recovery mode (NOT SAFE MODE)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by aznflipsensati0n, Feb 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aznflipsensati0n

aznflipsensati0n Thread Starter

First things first, I've had a serious issue ever since my computer was reset through recovery mode..the second Firefox loads in normal mode, it completely freezes up, and I'm not even able to end the process through task manager. I tried loading with Internet Explorer, still no luck. Safari same deal. I can only go on the Internet normally through Safe Mode. I have a Windows XP Professional, specifically a Media Center PC. Also, when I log in on windows, there is a "Found New Hardware" box for video controller. I also saw that there was a yellow exclamation near Video Controller and Video Controller (VGA compatible). Is it possible that my video card got corrupted, and is this an easy fix? Please help!

2. The Hound

The Hound

Welcome to TSG...

More likely that your video drivers are corrupted or not loaded in the first place. If that's the case, the fix isn't difficult.

Could you post the make and model of your computer, and the make and model of the video card if you know?

3. aznflipsensati0n

Surely, and thank you!
    Make: HP Pavillion 061
    Model: PX722AA-ABA M7167C
    I'm not completely sure about my video card. Hopefully this will help it out a bit!

4. The Hound

The Hound

5. aznflipsensati0n

Alright, now theres a problem. The installer loaded just fine, except when a window popped up saying "Please press YES to proceed with the update," after clicking yes, the updater stopped responding. I checked on task manager and it wasn't responding, and it wouldn't go away even after clicking end process a couple times.

6. The Hound

The Hound

Okay...Let's try it from a clean boot.

Click START, click RUN, type MSCONFIG and click OK.
    On the General Tab, make sure that SELECTIVE STARTUP is checked.
    On the Services Tab, put a check in the box to HIDE ALL MICROSOFT SERVICES.>>This is important! DO NOT proceed without checking the box to HIDE ALL MICROSOFT SERVICES.
    Next, make note of all remaining services that are checked--it may be easier to note the services that are NOT checked...you'll want to reenable them later.
    Click the DISABLE ALL button.
    On the Startup Tab, again make note of either the items that are checked, or the ones that aren't checked for reenabling later.
    Click the DISABLE ALL button.
    Click APPLY, click OK or CLOSE, and RESTART when prompted.
    When the restart is complete, a System Configuration Utility dialogue box will open.
    Read the text if you wish...then put a check in the box to the lower left.

Now try installing the Intel update. You haven't uninstalled anything by doing this...just stopped things from loading up.

7. aznflipsensati0n

Sorry for the late reply. Thank you so much! Firefox works just fine now! But on a side note, there is still a yellow exclamation point near the Video Controller and Video Controller (VGA Compatible) spots in the Device Manager. Is that a problem?

8. The Hound

The Hound

I don't think the Intel update fixed anything, or you wouldn't have the yellow splats...

Your Media Center Desktop has an Intel 945G chipset...
    Try this driver from Intel.
    Save it to your desktop and double-click to install. Reboot when prompted.

Are there any other yellow splats in Device Manager? Anything listed as an Unknown Device?

Okay..about Firefox---here's what I think I see. Disabling the startup services and applications is probably what resolved your issue with Firefox. That may well mean you had a program or service loading at startup that's interfering with your browser.
    It will be a little time-consuming, but you can probably pin down the offending application by going back in to MSCONFIG using the steps in Post 6 above and start reenabling things. Do the Services first---check the box to HIDE ALL MICROSOFT SERVICES, then recheck half the services that were checked before we did this last time.
    Click APPLY, OK or CLOSE, and restart when prompted. Check the box in the popup dialogue box again.
    Try Firefox and see if it still behaves properly. If it starts locking up again, then one (or more) of the services you've rechecked is the culprit. You'll have narrowed the field to the half you checked, and you can narrow it the rest of the way unchecking one at a time and rebooting.
    If rechecking services doesn't show you the problem, you can do the same with the items on the Startup tab--recheck half, Apply, reboot, and see how it goes...

9. aznflipsensati0n

As far as I can see, there aren't any other yellow splats on Device Manager. And for the moment, Firefox is working just fine now, but I'll still check that out.

Okay, I just tried to install that driver, but then something popped up that said "This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software. Setup will now exit."

What happened there?

10. The Hound

The Hound

Okay...I see some anecdotal evidence that your particular machine shipped in two different configurations...one with an Intel 965 chipset, the other with an ATI chipset. I'll keep looking to see what the proper graphics driver should be.

Help me out here:

Download Everest Free Edition 2.2 from MajorGeeks here. Save the app to your desktop.
    Double click to install and open. In the panel on the left, click the plus + to expand MOTHERBOARD, then click once on CHIPSET.
    At the top, click REPORT==Quick Report (chipset)==Plain Text.
    Attach the plain text report to your next reply.

11. aznflipsensati0n

--------[ Chipset ]----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- [ North Bridge: Intel Lakeport-G i945G ] North Bridge Properties: North Bridge Intel Lakeport-G i945G Revision / Stepping 02 / A2 Package Type 1202 Pin FC-BGA Package Size 3.4 cm x 3.4 cm Core Voltage 1.5 V In-Order Queue Depth 12 Memory Controller: Type Dual Channel (128-bit) Active Mode Dual Channel (128-bit) Memory Timings: CAS Latency (CL) 3T RAS To CAS Delay (tRCD) 3T RAS Precharge (tRP) 3T RAS Active Time (tRAS) 8T Error Correction: ECC Not Supported ChipKill ECC Not Supported RAID Not Supported ECC Scrubbing Not Supported Memory Slots: DRAM Slot #1 512 MB (DDR2-400 DDR2 SDRAM) DRAM Slot #2 512 MB (DDR2-400 DDR2 SDRAM) Integrated Graphics Controller: Graphics Controller Type Intel GMA 950 Graphics Controller Status Disabled PCI Express Controller: PCI-E x16 port #2 In Use @ x16 (ATI Radeon X800 XL (R430) Video Adapter) Chipset Manufacturer: Company Name Intel Corporation Product Information http://www.intel.com/products/browse/chipsets.htm Driver Download http://support.intel.com/support/chipsets/index.htm [ South Bridge: Intel 82801GB ICH7 ] South Bridge Properties: South Bridge Intel 82801GB ICH7 Revision / Stepping E1 / A1 Package Type 652 Pin mBGA Package Size 3.1 cm x 3.1 cm Core Voltage 1.5 V High Definition Audio: Audio Controller Type Intel 82801GB(M) ICH7 Codec Name Unknown Codec ID FFFFFFFFh Codec Revision FFFFFFFFh Chipset Manufacturer: Company Name Intel Corporation Product Information http://www.intel.com/products/browse/chipsets.htm Driver Download http://support.intel.com/support/chipsets/index.htm

Sorry it's sloppy, I'm assuming you need to be alot more neater or do you think you can figure it out?

12. The Hound

The Hound

It's okay---you can 'attach' text files in their entirety, but I see what I need.

Your Intel graphics chip is disabled, and you're indeed using an ATI graphics card---the driver's not available on the HP download site for your model. That's okay too.

>>>EDIT: Do this instead of what I originally posted:
    Go to the amd gaming download page here:
    Click ATI RADEON VIDEO CARD DRIVERS
    When the list expands, under INDIVIDUAL CATALYST COMPONENTS, click WINDOWS XP(32bit).
    Choose the ATI WDM Integrated Driver--download to your desktop and double click to install.
    Restart after installation when prompted.

WRONG ANSWER REMOVED.

13. aznflipsensati0n

Hmm...now you can tell how new I am to this haha. And..the link that you posted led me to a page that said "Unauthorized Download." Geez..the problems just keep piling up >_<

EDIT: Alright thanks for letting me know haha

14. The Hound

The Hound

Yeah...my bad. AMD doesn't allow direct hotlinking to their driver downloads. I tried to save a few steps...and ended up making the simple, complicated.

We'll get there.

15. aznflipsensati0n

Alright just rebooted this thing and, there are still yellow splats...oh boy.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/905400

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice