1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Problems d-link wireless router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by exido, Aug 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. exido

exido Thread Starter

Okey guys i need your help. Ive bought a d-link dir-300 wireless router connected my ethernet cable to lan port1 and and another ethernet cable to lan port two and my desktop pc. I went to my laptop and saw the dlinskys connection but it was unsecure. I double clicked on it,entered the pin adress made it - security type wpa2-personal(recomended) and the AES encryption. But somehow the internet on the wireless laptop is local only in vista. In my desktop pc is perfectly fine. And i cannot acsess the usual 192.168.0.1 my ip adress is 192.168.1.112.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You are connected to someone else's router it would appear.

If your other wired machines are on the 192.168.0.x subnet, the wireless will be too if you're connected to your router.

3. pedroguy

pedroguy

I may be confused.Encryption is normally setup in the routers wireless security section.

4. exido

exido Thread Starter

The wireless worked for a moment but just a few minutes. The window poped up that said ip adress conflict and its local again. I entered the same ip and subnet and gateway and dns as its in the network of desktop pc. The diagnostics say it cannot connect to a primary dns server.

Some news,its clearly an ip conflict i disconected one the other works

5. JohnWill

Let's see this from a working wired computer and from that wireless one.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Does that mean that you connected your modem to a router LAN port instead of the WAN (internet, modem) port? If so, I think that explains all your problem symptoms.

7. exido

exido Thread Starter

You see theres a thing, i live in a 9 story flat or appartment building. The building has 1 internet one modem or router i dont know. And all the other flats are connected via ethernet cable and lan. We boy loooong cables and wire them to our pcs. So im trying to use another router with wireless and by connecting to lan port. It worked for the pc. But f.. up the wireless.

8. exido

exido Thread Starter

I connected both cables to lan

when i try to plug the main ethernet cable to the internet port. The internet is local only. The diagnostics say the router or modem is not available. ( im using the main buldings routers ip adress gatevay dns and all that stuff. Everything has to be set manualy otherwise it doesnt work.)

9. exido

exido Thread Starter

capture 9999 is desktop pc capture 1111 is wireless pc

Attached Files:

10. pedroguy

pedroguy

Ok:See if you can get dhcp enabled.Don't know if that will hurry things along,but .....And they both have the same ipaddress,humm..

From a Johnwill postConfigure DHCP for Windows Vista.
    1. Click on the Start menu, and select Control Panel.
    2. Click on Network and Internet. (Skip this step if you do not see this Control Panel item.)
    3. Click on Network and Sharing Center.
    4. Click on Manage network connections.
    5. Right click on Local Area Connection and choose Properties. If Windows say it needs your permission to continue, click Continue.
    6. Select Internet Protocol Version 4(TCP/IPv4) and click Properties.
    7. Select Obtain an IP address automatically.
    8. Select Obtain DNS server address automatically.
    9. Click OK to close the TCP/IP Properties window.
    10. Click OK to close the Local Area Connection Properties window.
    11. Click Close to close the Network Connections window.
    12. Click Close to close the Control Panel window.
    13. Restart your computer.

11. JohnWill

Clearly, having both assigned the same IP address is not going to work! :)

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Change your ethernet connected PC to use dynamic addressing as advised above by pedroguy. Login to the router (probably 192.168.0.1) and set up the WAN (internet) section to use the static IP configuration that has been assigned to you (IP 192.168.1.112, etc.).

Connect the complex's ethernet cable to your router's WAN port. You should now have internet access on the PC.

Now set the other computer to use dynamic addressing, and you can also connect that to your router using Wi-Fi or ethernet.

To summarize, you have been assigned a static IP, DNS, etc., to use. Think of that as your pseudo-public IP assigned by your "ISP." You can use that on one computer, or you can use it on the WAN side of a router. When you use it on the router's WAN you can then connect multiple computers to the router's LAN side. You now have exactly the same setup as I (and many others) do, except that my router's WAN side gets an actual public IP assigned directly by my (real) ISP.

13. exido

exido Thread Starter

im really sorry for being such a bag of trouble,but i cant get into the 192.168.0.1 i tried 192.168.1.1 and 1.2 even tried 192.168.1.112 nothing... i didnt install the software from the original cd becouse it says its not wired properly

14. pedroguy

pedroguy

How about the default gateway.Probably your modem.

15. exido

exido Thread Starter

sorry,but no :(

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/855736

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice