1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Problems fixing horizontal axis on column graph in Excel 2010

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by maxx_eclipse, Aug 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. maxx_eclipse

maxx_eclipse Thread Starter

Afternoon everyone!

As the title suggests, I have some issues with formatting the x-axis of a column graph (the graph is to show air consumption rate over a period of 30 minutes) in Excel 2010 (the file in question is attached). As you can see in the attached picture, the graph currently has the x-axis formatted such that it starts in the middle of the ticks. Ideally, I am looking for a way to start "0" from the y-axis intercept without shifting the graph as is currently the case when changing the horizontal axis options.

Could you possibly help me sort this out? I need to present it for a university project and I'd like to have the graph presented in this manner. It would also help if I could learn the method so I can do this in future. Thank you for your help in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Keebellah

Keebellah Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Hans
    I wonder why you post an xls file if you're working with 2010, but maybe because of compatability.
    I'm not that acquanted with all the options in graphs, but I think I got what you want.
    There's an option for the label in the x-axis,
    See Sheet2 for the screenshot of wher I found it.
    I hope this is waht you were looking for.
    I also uploaded a version saved as 2010

Attached Files:

3. maxx_eclipse

Hi Keebellah,

Thanks for your help, but I must say that you've basically done what I had already tried. The problem with using the "On tick marks" option is that the column chart is shifted off the axis and slightly cut off, which is a tad annoying (see attached printscreen).

I suppose I will just use MS Paint to adjust it as need be.

Attached Files:

4. Keebellah

Keebellah Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Hans
    I din't really take notice of that, but I think it's the thickness of the vertical bar, half is on one side of the tick the other on the other side.
    When the value is centered then the whole area is considered that value.

5. maxx_eclipse

Thanks for your input Keebellah!

I ended up just using MS Paint and editing the axis accordingly.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!