1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Problems installing Seagate SATA drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jmc, Nov 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jmc

jmc Thread Starter

My system specs are below. My OS is Windows 2000 Pro, SP4. I'm trying to add a Seagate 200GB SATA drive to the system. It is to be a secondary drive, the IDE remains the boot drive for now.

My first problem is, I'm not sure which SATA connector to use. There's 4 - two are labelled Pri_SATA and Sec_SATA and use the Promise controller. The other two are SATA_1 and SATA_2 and use the Via southbridge controllers. I've tried PRI_SATA and SATA_1, currently it's on SATA_1:

I've installed Seagate's DiscWizard software. When I boot the computer, the BIOS does see the drive, but DiscWizard does not (doesn't show up in the list). However, I *can* see the drive in Windows Disk Management, but it has a "no" type icon (red with a white horizontal "minus") and the "Write Signature and Upgrade Disk Wizard" starts -something I've never seen before. I'm unable to do any management on the disc.

So, two questions: Why can Windows but not Seagate's software see the new drive, and should I go ahead and run the Wizard?

Any assistance appreciated. I badly need the drive to work, my "oh, it'll be big enough" 120GB HD is nearly full!

2. jmc

jmc Thread Starter

I did a bit of research on the Wizard, decided to "take a chance" - only a chance because of my unfamiliarity, apparently - and was able to attach a signature (whatever that means) and format the disk. Currently moving data about, so my 120 can have room enuf to run. Oddly, Seagate DiscWizard *still* does not see it's drive, though it sees the IDE drive fine. Any idea why? I did get an appropriate manual after entering the model # of the drive, so I'm confused as to why it is so blind.

3. norton850

norton850

It doesn't matter which of the SATA connectors you use, as you say on that board there are actually two sets. You are using one of the Promise ones.
    Did you install the Promise driver that came with the ASUS board CD?

4. jmc

jmc Thread Starter

Yes, the Promise drivers are installed. The drive is working fine, I've partitioned & formatted and moved/tested data. DiscWizard still continues to tell me it doesn't exist, which is weird, but something I can live with.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/298241

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice