1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Problems installing Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by jcdf, Oct 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jcdf

jcdf Thread Starter

After hearing so much about it, I recently sent off for and received the Ubuntu 8.04.1 LTS Desktop Edition operating system.
    I have a laptop Compaq series pp2140. 1.3GHz Athlon processor, 512Mb Ram, 30Gb Toshiba hard drive. Windows XP professional. I want to install the Ubuntu system along side windows XP.
    Before hand I defragment the hard drive in Windows XP and made sure there was plenty of spare room on my hard drive. The laptops 30Gb hard drive is partitioned into two parts.
    C: part which is holds the window xp operating system is 20Gb in total and has 11.8Gb free space.
    D: part is 8.4Gb in size all of which is free space.
    I booted my laptop with the Ubuntu CD in the tray and the Ubuntu operating system loaded and started correctly.
    To install the system I followed the advise on the following site:
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Installing-Ubuntu-7-10-68645.shtml
    I double clicked the install icon on the desktop. Proceeded through the first 3 steps without problem.
    On the fourth step there are three choices on how to partition the hard disk.
    1. Guided – use entire disk.
    2. Guided – use largest continuous free space.
    3. Manual.
    When I select the second choice as is recommended by the above guide I get the following error message:
    Is my hard disk too small to install Ubuntu? Any other advise on this would be helpful as well.

2. jcdf

jcdf Thread Starter

It does not matter I have found out how to do it.

3. arochester

arochester

Other people might have the same problem. How about sharing the solution?

4. jcdf

jcdf Thread Starter

Here is a little manual I put together for myself, should I need to install Ubuntu on my laptop later on and have forgetten how to.
    If anybody needs more details just say so.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!