1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Problems installing windows on new hard drive

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by lipsticknlatte, May 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lipsticknlatte

lipsticknlatte Thread Starter

Hello
    I put my little girls laptop in for repair, they replaced her hard drive. The cost of having windows 7, drivers etc installed was beyond me, so the nice gent there gave me a windows disc and said i should be fine to install it myself as i have the authentication code.

I went into the bios and changed the boot order to boot first from dvd put in the disc and restarted. At first all seems to be going well,then i see the following on the screen

windows is loading files, then
    starting windows,
    the windows background comes up

then i get a cmd box titled
    X:\windows\system32\cmd.exe-startnet.cmd
    and in the box
    x:\windows\system32>wpe in it

then the title changes to Administrator:
    X:\windows\system32\cmd.exe
    and in the box it says
    X:\windows\system32>wpe in it
    and
    X :\windows\system32>

I don't know what info is relevant, so i will include what i can about her computer and the new hard drive

the drive is a western digital technologies 2.5 inch 500gb sata hard drive.

The laptop is a toshiba satelite C665D model PSCOYA 04NO24

the windows sticker says it runs windows 7 home premium OA

the disc the gent at the store gave me says windows 7OEM preinstallation disc

I literally know more latin than computer terms, so i really need some advice. Well i hope this info helps, if someone is willing to help and needs more info please let me know
    Mel

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is the Toshiba support site for Australia.

You advised the model number of that Toshiba Satellite laptop is C665D .
    The complete model number has a dash between 2 sets of characters.
    There will be a dash and additional characters after C665D .

You advised the part number is PSCOYA 04NO24 .
    Is it actually PSCOYA-04DO24?

You advised the Microsoft COA sticker on the laptop is Windows 7 Home Premium.
    Did the store agent give you a disc with the same Windows 7 version?
    If it's an OEM disc, is it for Toshiba or for some other brand?
    Is it an original disc or has it been copied?

--------------------------------------------------------------

3. lipsticknlatte

Thanks so much for your reply. no, the number is correct, i noted the similar model number on the toshiba site which made me double check, so i am sure of this. the only mistake was i left out a dash in the model number which should be PSCOYA-04NO24 there is no other number present on the sticker other than the serial number, nothing else divided by dashes.

The only brand name present on the disc is microsoft. It does not give much information unfortunately. It only says windows 7 OEM preinstallation kit. It does not appear to be a copy, although i don't know what watermarks etc would be on an OEM disc.

I thought it was perhaps a problem with the disc or the drive, so i downloaded windows 7 home premium 32 bit and made a bootable usb using the microsoft tool. I thought this might solve the problem if it were the disc or drive. I changed the boot oreder and It starts to install, then when it reboots it goes back to the beginning of the install process, asking to input the settings information again.

I appreciate your time very much
    Mel

4. lipsticknlatte

I have managed to install the operating system from the usb stick. Thanks very much for your help
    Mel

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Probably a poorly labeled Windows 7 OEM Preinstallation disc. That's what a system builder would use to install Windows on a new (or refurbished maybe) computer so that he/she could add some information about his business and to advise the customer that the business, not Microsoft, is responsible for support. I don't know how to use one, and unless somebody here can advise you'll have to search the web or ask "the gent" for help.

Did you download a legitimate or pirated version of Windows 7 Home Premium? If legit, from what site? If pirated there is a danger that it includes an unadvertised bonus (malware) and you should get rid of it.

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    TerryNet:

Thanks for jumping in. (y)

-------------------------------------------------------

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I've never created a bootable USB thumb drive and installed Windows 7 in that manner, so you're one up on me. (y)

----------------------------------------------------------

8. lipsticknlatte

I guess we are lucky to be living in a time when we have instructional videos for free online! I am not sure if i am allowed to post these kind of web links in this community so i will just say that yes i believe it is a legitimate site to download this operating system from, i found it by reading forum posts at different tech support sites.

Making the bootable usb with the downloaded iso file and the microsoft tool was very easy, fortunately!

Windows is running beautifully, however now i have the harder job of finding drivers. As my model number is not even shown on the toshiba site i suppose i will have to email them and see what information on the computer i can find.

If i cannot find out which drivers i need I may have to post a new thread.

Thanks again for your time and patience
    Mel

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    To my knowledge, the Windows 7 SP1 .iso files at Digital River are legal to download and burn to a disc or create a bootable thumb drive so you can reinstall the operating system and then use your legal product key to activate it.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Go to Control Panel - Device Manager.

When the Device Manager window appears, there will be one or more entries that have a yellow ? next to them if those devices need drivers.

If all devices have drivers and are working properly, there will be no yellowed entries.

Double-click each of those yellowed entries to open their properties window.

Click the "Details" tab and then select "Hardware Ids".

There will be one or more strings that have VEN_####&DEV_#### as part of it.

Advise what the 4 characters are that follow VEN_ and DEV_

-------------------------------------------------------------

10. lipsticknlatte

Thank you, i think they are all working now. This was not as painful as i thought it would be, and i have learned a lot too.

Mel

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome. :)

And we'll be here if you need us again. (y)

-----------------------------------------------------------

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1097814

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice