1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Problems Installing XP Pro

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by imperial, Sep 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. imperial

imperial Thread Starter

I purchased an OEM version of Windows XP Pro and have had some trouble installing it. My operating system is corrupt, so after trying to install to no avail, I just deleted all my partitions and created new ones to format. However it still isnt working. I keep receiving stop errors, freezing, and file transfer errors. How can I fix this? The only things plugged externally into my computer are mouse/keyboard, monitor and powersupply.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all, check your ram with a ram tester. Here is a link. It will run from a bootable floppy or cd; there is no need for an os to be installed. Next check your hd with the hd mgf's utility; again this is a bootable floppy so there is no need for an os to be installed.

Problems with installing either win2k or xp are generally caused by [in order]

Bad quality or mismatched ram.
    Bad power supply.
    Bad or failing hd.
    Overheating
    Bad CD drive, cable or media
    Problem caused by a peripheral ie printer, nic card, etc.

3. imperial

imperial Thread Starter

thanks, whats an mgf utility, and where can I get it?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The maker of your hard drive ie WD, Maxtor, Seagate, etc. Go to their site and you can download the utility.

5. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

You can use "Belarc Adviser" to obtain a thorough outline of every aspect of your computer's 'guts.' Manufacturers, models, versions, etc. And it is free! Use Google to find the download site.

6. imperial

imperial Thread Starter

well I already knew my hard drive's manufacturer (seagate) but since both memory and hard drive tested fine, what now? A friend told me it might be my motherboard or power supply. Does that mean I have to buy a new one or what? I really dont want it to come down to that. I've got a ton of fans hooked up cooling my whole computer. I now get the stop error DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL consistently after formating and rebooting. I tried a retail (not OEM) copy from my friend and it works but doesnt accept the OEM key.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

What did you use to test your memory?

While a bad ps or a failing mb can cause these errors, it has been my experience that this error is mostly caused by poor quality or mismatched ram. Overheating can cause this as well. What are your temps? Just because you have a lot of fans does not mean your processor is running cool.

8. imperial

imperial Thread Starter

I used the program you recomended to me to test my ram. Seemed to work fine.

Edit: CPU temp is 37-39C

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Ok if your ram checks ok, hd checks ok and your temps are fine. You may have a problem with your ps or mb.

What brand of ps and what wattage do you have?

What brand and model of mb do you have?

10. imperial

imperial Thread Starter

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Now it is hard to say since both allied and ecs are what are known as bottom feeder mgfs. The ps would be the cheaper part to change out. Quality mgfs are Enlight, Antec, Enermax, Coolmax, and Sparkle. There are others, however those are the ones I use in my builds. Enlight is usually the "best bang for the buck" Most modern computers need at least a 350W quality ps. If you are running multiple hd, multiple optical drives, high powered video card, etc, 400W would be the min.

IMO allied, foxxcon, deer, powmax ps are useful as a paperweight; just not as a ps for a computer.

As to the mb, about the only way to test it is to swap with a known good unit.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276987

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice