1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Problems (Linksys Router)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by frobro, Aug 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frobro

frobro Thread Starter

This is actually a very simple question, but since I am Mac inclined it has turned into a problem with an easy fix.

Main Question:

How to re-configure Linksys wireless router?

Details:

Couldnt log onto internet. After talking with comcast it was proven that the router was the problem. Called Linksys. After figuring out that I needed to re-configure the router I proceeded with the following routine steps. However, when I went to 168.198.1.1 it then prompted me to enter username and password. When admin (username) and admin (password) were placed in the appropriate boxes, I then tried to continue. However it said that it was a wrong username/and or password. I asked the tech and he said that I must have changed the username and/or password.

To my knowledge this was never done and I simply left it at the default. All arguments aside, Is there anyway to check my username/password? If not, then I ask the question at the top of the page; "How do I re-configure my linksys router"? Remember I am on a MAC, so I am not sure how to even find the file for the linksys router.

Please Help.:eek:

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

If I remember correct its just admin for the password and username is blank.

Also if you did in fact change the password and don't know the password then hold down the reset button in the back and power off the unit with the reset button held down put the power plug back in and wait 5-10 seconds this should set it back to factory defaults.

BTW Using the URL in the web browser is the only way to configure these linksys units I believe.

3. frobro

frobro Thread Starter

Like I said...Simple Fix!!!

Thank you sir!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/491096

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice