1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{Solved} - Problems opening .pst Outlook personal folders after new install of Win2000

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mg33, Feb 5, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mg33

mg33 Thread Starter

I was referred to this board by a friend, hopefully someone can help out.

Prior to doing a new install of Win2000 from a Win98 computer, I backed up all my outlook e-mail, contact lists, etc. The suggested method was exporting these as as .pst files.

Now, I am running on Win2000, with all my files backed up on cd. I've moved the .pst files over, and have tried to import them into the newly installed Outlook.
    For some reason though, it will not let me import them, claiming a password problem.

The message I get is: Properties for this information service must be defined prior to use.
    After clicking OK, I get a message saying "File access is denied, you don't have permission to access these files."

What's the problem? How do I import these files? They're rather important.

If someone could help me out on this, I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

Michael S. Gallegly

2. Reuel Miller

Reuel Miller

Greetings

I have a feeling that the problem is that when you copied the file from CD, it was copied as a read only file.

Find the file, right click on it and untick the Read Only attribute.

See if that helps

------------------
    Reuel Miller
    Windows NT Moderator (yes, that does make me biased :) )

[email protected]

Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

3. mg33

mg33 Thread Starter

Much thanks, I figured out what the problem was last night, much to my relief. It was a long bit of trying over and over and over!

Thanks,

michael

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/29813

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice