1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Problems posed by Administrator restrictions

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Robert1, Dec 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Robert1

Robert1 Thread Starter

I just tried to download software that I purchased online. I created a folder in the Program Files in which to save the program. Then I tried to save the program file into the new folder. However, I got a message indicating I didn't have administrative privileges. I bought this computer, I own it, noone else owns even a part of it. I don't understand why I'm restricted from saving the file. When I look at the directory list I see that the folder has a padlock symbol on the folder icon. I notice at least one other folder in the Program Files has the same padlock symbol attached to it, indicating, I suspect, that I would have problems in controlling the contents of that folder as well.

Can anyone help me with this problem? My operating system is Windows 7.

Thank you,
    Robert

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

3. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    I would NEVER download to the programs files folder, that is there for the "INSTALED" copy of the program. Download to separate folder, then run the setup (install) from there.

4. Phantom010

I understand but I hate those locks! [​IMG]

5. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Those locks are there for a REAL reason, and those that do not FULLY know what they are getting into, the removal of the locks may get one into deep dodo. :eek: :rolleyes:

6. Phantom010

The lock icon in Windows 7 indicates that the file or folder can only be accessed by you, and no other user on your computer. If it wasn't your intention in the first place, and you have been playing around with folder sharing or security options, then it’s an eyesore.

7. Robert1

Robert1 Thread Starter

I found out that DaveA is right - when I allowed the program to download the file to the folder it wanted to, it automatically saved the executable files to a folder in the Program files.

Live and learn!

Thanks everyone for coming back to me!

Merry Christmas to all!
    Robert

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1032263

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice