1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Problems restoring Acronis images

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by pcguy9441, May 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pcguy9441

pcguy9441 Thread Starter

I could write pages on the self inflicted grief I've faced over the past day and a half, but will strive for brevity. Two days ago I had a solid dual boot system with a fresh XP on partition #1 on HD0 and a Win7 Enterprise free eval installed on partition #2, same drive. I also had multiple Acronis images of XP, some old, some of a fresh install and one of Win7. When I installed Win7, it changed the boot.ini process to the new Win7 version where the original boot.ini in the XP root directory is ignored and the startup menu is changed to a Win7 style for multi-boot systems where the first entry is changed to "Earlier version of Windows" no matter what text you had in boot.ini.

In fighting a problem trying to license the ESQuotes Excel app on either OS (s/w author's licensing site is down), I was restoring multiple XP images on partition #1 with success from the Win7 partition. (I was running Acronis from Windows under Win7, as opposed to booting from the Acronis CD). I had no problems restoring images until I think I must have clicked the box that says to also restore the master boot record. Everything went south. My XP restore would not boot and I got either "ntldr missing", or "hit ctrl-alt-del to reboot". My Win7 partition, would, however, still boot. Booting from my XP disc to get to Windows Restore where I could place a ntldr.exe in root and/or do a fixboot did nothing. I did not do a fixmbr as I was afraid I might break the Win7 boot process. But, non the less, with all my thrashing around and multiple attempts to restore some workable XP to partition #1 or #2, I crashed the Win7 partition also. So, no boot, no how, no way. I could not even get a boot-up following an apparent sucessful restore booting from the Acronis CD. It went through the paces and seemed to work w/o error, but still no boot. I finally had to resort to a fresh XP install from the XP master disc. From there, I was miraculously able to restore back to a known good (older) XP image on top of the same partition. That same XP image had failed to load (corrupt) or boot previously when the Win7 partition existed. However on inspecting HD0 after boot-up, I found my Win7 OS was now gone and the partition flagged "unallocated". I may get up the courage to try to restore my Win7 image to that partition, but am afraid it will somehow break my good XP partition.

So, now the big question. Are there any known issues with Acronis on a dual boot system with XP SP2 and Win7 Enterprise? I'm wondering if the change with the Win7 boot manager vs XP throws a partition image restore a curve since a Win7 install after an XP install will change the boot process for all partitions to conform with the new Win7 process. In my case, I was restoring older images on a system that did not have Win7 installed when the image file was created.

Thanks for any thoughts you may have on this debacle...

2. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

well dual boot systems as you have found are a pain when trouble arrives..

You could try virtual pc free from microsoft to install xp on top of win7.. win7 would be your main system once up and running you can install xp with virtualpc no more boot problems and a acronis image can be made of the win7 partition with xp on it as well..

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

There is no problem with Acronis. It restores what it backed up, so if you restore an older MBR or partition table, then it is not going to work on a system that has had either of these changed. Hopefully, you are dealing with 2 primary partitions here so that the situation won't become even more complex. But the "active" partition has been changed multiple times during your efforts, and restoring an active partition to a drive that already has one is simply not going to go as planned.

Take some time to plan how you are making your backups, what you are backing up, and how you will restore those backups. You can't expect a backup to work properly if it is restored to what is essentially a different system from the one that existed when the image was created. It needs to be the same to behave the same way.

Also consider making full drive images that will back up both at the same time and prevent any problems with their interaction upon restoration.

4. pcguy9441

pcguy9441 Thread Starter

OK...you're confirming my suspicion that the new Vista/Win7 boot process messed me up. In 20-20 hindsight, I see what happened. I did not really suspect a bug in Acronis. Would you mind expanding on your comment "...and restoring an active partition to a drive that already has one is simply not going to go as planned.". Isn't this what you do in a vanilla single boot system where you run Acronis from windows and restore the image on top of the same partition from which it was made?

Also, you advise: "...consider making full drive images that will back up both at the same time and prevent any problems with their interaction upon restoration.". How do you backup two partitions at once? I'm in the middle of downloading an Acronis upgrade or I'd check, but I don't remember seeing a way to select more than a single partition at a time, or a way to select the entire hard drive.

And, I've been looking for detailed documentation of how and where elements of the XP and Win7 boot process are stored. I found this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Vista_startup_process, but would love to see it in diagram form illustrating where stuff is stored on a hard drive and the sequence of events.

Thanks for your insight!

5. pcguy9441

pcguy9441 Thread Starter

Virtual PC sounds enticing. Thanks, I'll check it out.

6. pcguy9441

pcguy9441 Thread Starter

OK, follow up question. I have a Win7 image backup from when everything was working smoothly. XP Pro SP2 on the 1st partition and Win7 on the 2nd. Now (today), the partition where Win7 resided is unallocated and XP is on Part 1 working well. If I do a restore of the Win7 partition to it's original location, will it restore the btldr and associated Win7 style boot files to where they were at the time of the image creation? Or.....do I need to do a fresh Win7 install to get all the btldr stuff in order? Long term, I think I'll go with Win7 Pro and virtual XP. That beats rebooting to toggle back and forth.

thanks.

BTW, found some good info on the gory details of the Win7 boot process: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744556(WS.10).aspx. Riveting reading, better than a good novel :)

7. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Jay
    I'd suggest putting W7 on its own HD and dual booting to different (independent) HDs...
    Can you do that in your Home Brew ???

I've read that putting XP and W7 on the same HDs ..
    Can cause trouble if/when you have to perform surgery on the Systems/Partitions.

I also had some trouble with ATI .. I think this was unique to my computer.
    Since I've installed W7 without the 100MB reserved Partition in front of the C partition .. I've had no problems.

8. pcguy9441

pcguy9441 Thread Starter

Can you elaborate on a 100MB reserved partition? So you want W7 to be physically first on the drive?

Thanks for the input!

And, BTW for ELVANDIL, you can scratch my query on: so, you advise: "...consider making full drive images that will back up both at the same time and prevent any problems with their interaction upon restoration.". On closer inspection, I now see in Acronis where you can easily select the entire drive or multiple partitions in a drive.

9. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Jay
    I want the 100MB reserved partition "Gone" .. I hear that you'll loose Bit Locker if you do this.
    Format the HD as an active partition before you install W7 .. And it will not be installed
    There's tricks to remove it later .. I could look them up for you.

Attached Files:

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920643

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice