Solved: Problems Upgrading PSU

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

number2

Ive been working on selecting a video card and had posted a recent thread about this.

While shopping around for a card it has become clear that I needed more power.

I was just advised by an HP online tech cunsaltant that I may have problems with existing components if I upgrade to a different/stronger power supply. This seems odd to me. How can a good quality PSU cause any damage to components?

The rep advised me to get a Micro ATX PSU form factor, I havent heard of this but apparently this is a brand or a particular "form factor".

Also either the Micro ATX doesnt provide over 300w or I need to stay under 300w, he couldnt explian.

Upgrading this system is becoming very difficult, I should have tried to build one.

Some systems have specially sized power supplies.

This means if you try to replace it, it wont fit. Forcing you to buy another power supply from them.

If this is the case, youre pretty stuck at having to buy one of those. HP comes to mind.. IBM... Compaq... they all do this.

What kind of computer is it?

-Gonz

number2

Also, Ive looked at different powers supplies and several companies seem to stand out. Antec, Enermax, OCZ.

Are there any that standout.

number2

This is a compac presario SR1538X. It is pretty recent since I got it on sale in sept of this year.

number2

Is it the actual dimensions of the power supply that can be a problem, or a limit on the output that is a problem.

The tech guy wants to limit me to 300w.

I can't understand that.

The actual power output of the PSU shouldn't matter except as a heat issue if the case is marginal. They used to have a PSU that was actually smaller in size than anyone else so I'd be checking size closely.

number2

A quick update, I am still looking for a PSU that will fit this tower. After some research I don't think that I actually need a "microATX" PSU, just something that has the dimensions of my current one ( 5.9w, 3.4h, ~5.5d ).

I will post my findings.

Thanks for the help.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online