1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Problems w/ re-installing XP Home

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Gajate, Sep 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gajate

Gajate Thread Starter

:mad: I am re-installing XP Home and I am unable to ocate the CD case with the Key Number. Is there any way that I can find this on the disc? Will MicroSoft help me?

It's been 12 days now, and I can't find the &[email protected] thing!!!

Any suggestions would be apreciated (nothing illegal please).

Thanks,
    Ed

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

If the pc came with XP, the product code should be on a sticker on the side of the tower or bottom of a laptop.

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The product code is NOT held anywhere on the CD itself, in any file or in any manner.

If its still installed on the PC (and not over-written) then Magic Jellybean program can retrieve it, else a call to microsoft will be needed.

I ALWAYS write the code on the CD itself.

4. Gajate

Gajate Thread Starter

My PC came with ME and I've upgraded to xp.

It is installed on the PC, but I am unable to retrieve it since I cannot boot up.

I found MSKBA - 307545 on recovering from a corrupted registry which outlines the steps to correct this, but each time I start up the Recovery Console it asks for the administartor password. I NEVER put in a password.

So I'm back to square 1.

Ed

5. Old Rich

Old Rich

Try entering with no password . .

6. Gajate

Gajate Thread Starter

Did that... Gave me 3 chances and then rebooted and went back to the setup screen again.

7. pjblevin

pjblevin

gagate: Try dowloading & installing a free product called "everest" by lavalyst. It'll give you info on just about anything inside your PC, including the product key of your OS. Not sure how it works with an upgrade, thought. Let me know.

pjblevin

8. Gajate

Gajate Thread Starter

Ended up calling MS, they charged me $10 for a new product key code. They said it was too much to look it up in their database because they have so many. Thought that was one of the benefits of registration.

Thanks to all who responded.
    Ed

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!