1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Problems with Add/Remove windows components

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Bearspa, Nov 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bearspa

Bearspa Thread Starter

When I click on Add/Remove Windows Components, I first get an error message:
    sysocmgr.exe-Ordinal not found: The Ordinal 1118 could not be located in the dynamic link library WSOC32.dll​

When I click "OK" on that, I get another message:
    setuplibrary iis.dll could not be loaded, or function OcEntry could not be found. Contact your system administrator. The specific error code is 0x7e​

When I click on that, I get a final error message:
    The application could not be initialized​

I tried to expand iis.dll from my XP CD onto my Windows\system32\setup directory, but that did not help.

I also ran WinsockXPFix, and rebooted, but that did not help either.

I'm running XP Pro, with AVG FRee and Ashampoo firewall.

Here's the TSG SysInfo log:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 11
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3317 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family, 128 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 283177 MB, Free - 94019 MB; G: Total - 190332 MB, Free - 71110 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0FM586
    Antivirus: AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2012, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

Any help would be appreciated.

TIA

2. Jason83

Jason83 Banned

Open command prompt and type sfc /scannow you will need to place your xp disk in your cd/dvd drive.
    NOTE:The disc must also be sp3 in order for this to work.

3. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Insert your Windows XP CD in the drive.

Click Start > Run > type CMD

Click OK.

In the Command Prompt, type expand X:\i386\sysoc.in_ -r c:\windows\inf

(Where X:\ is your CD-ROM drive letter. Change accordingly)

Press Enter.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Actually, that command line should be:

expand X:\i386\sysoc.in_ -r c:\windows\inf\sysoc.inf

or you will just have an uncompressed file named "sysoc.in_" which is of no use to you.

5. Bearspa

Bearspa Thread Starter

Subsequent to posting my earlier message, I had tried all your suggestions, Elvandil, Phantom010 and Jason83, but no joy. In fact, I found all kinds of problems in my network connections. I tried to repair XP, but no luck there either--it stopped at another error.

So, I bit the bullet, backed up my system, and upgraded to Win 7---the XP registry and all the programs that I had collected (and never used) over the years had to be cleaned out.

So that's what I am in the middle of, and, cross my fingers and toes, it hasn't been too painful so far!

Thanks for your suggestions---but I think that just too much was messed up, and it was not helped by the fact that I'm not very conversant with the Network protocols.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

You can mark your thread "solved" using the button at the top of the page.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028765

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice