1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: problems with backups to external hard drive

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by farlem99, Nov 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. farlem99

farlem99 Thread Starter

My pc has Vista Business. Don't know if this is a Vista problem or a hardware problem: using the Backup
    and Restore Center, I backed up my files (docs, etc.) and also did a complete computer backup to my new 250GB external hard drive on Oct 31. I then scheduled a file backup only for every Saturday thereafter. I then turned off the drive.

On Saturday Nov 3, I turned the drive on just before the time for the backup, and shortly the scheduled backup tried to begin, but the drive K:\ could not be found and thus the backup failed. I then turned the drive off, rebooted the pc, then manually started the file backup from the Backup Center. It worked this time. So I tried the complete backup again just to see if that would also work, but once again the pc could not find the drive.

The drive came with a backup utility (Memeo AutoBackup) that I chose not to install because Vista has a good backup utility. Does anyone out there have any suggestions or observations on what is happening here? Mike

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Is K: the drive letter actually assigned to the drive?
    Can you read files on it?
    Write files manually to it?
    Does it not work at all anymore?

3. farlem99

farlem99 Thread Starter

yes, the drive letter is now assigned to the drive.
    yes, i can see the files on the drive.
    yes, i have manually written files to the drive when i succeeded in making the "files" backup yesterday.
    the drive does work.
    the problem is the pc does not acquire it when i turn the external drive on. to get it to work, i have to disconnect the usb cable from the drive, reboot the pc, then reconnect the cable. then start the backup and all goes ok for the "file" backup but it will not do a "complete pc" backup.

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    What make and model is this USB external drive?

5. farlem99

farlem99 Thread Starter

Dave, it is a Buffalo Model HD-HCU2 DriveStation

6. DaveA

First Name:
    David
  7. farlem99

farlem99 Thread Starter

as i said in original thread, using Vista's nice backup center, which allows both file and complete pc backups.

8. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    Also did you read that Vista is NOT supported by the hardware OEM?

9. farlem99

farlem99 Thread Starter

sure did

10. farlem99

farlem99 Thread Starter

hold it, i misread your reply. the seller said the hardware was vista compatible.

11. farlem99

farlem99 Thread Starter

also, the software mgf offers a vista update. now, i know the drive works for file backups because it has already done it. my concern is about the complete pc backups. is there some kind of workaround that will get me a pc backup on this unit?

12. farlem99

farlem99 Thread Starter

perhaps this has been a learning experience for me, Dave, as i just managed to complete and verify a full pc backup using Vista's Backup Center. There is a switch at the back of the Buffalo drive that allows one to select Auto backup or Manual backup. I switched to Manual, then tried the complete backup and everything went great. Thanks for your assistance, though. I am going to stay with Vista and not mess with Memeo, because it doesn't do complete backups. Thanks goodness complete backups don't have to be done often. I plan to do one every month.

13. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    I use DriveImage and it does a great job.

14. farlem99

farlem99 Thread Starter

thanks Dave. will make note and use that program if necessary.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/647767

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice