1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Problems with connecting a second monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Meridian1, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meridian1

Meridian1 Thread Starter

Hi,

I read the entire post regarding Problems with connecting a second monitor and I have a similar problem with one tiny twist.
    New computer is HP PRO 3400
    It came with one vga and one dvi-d. Our monitors are all vga. Most of us with older HP's that have dual monitors are using a vga to dvi-i connector... so since I couldn't find a vga to dvi-d cable or connector, I purchased a dvi-d male to dvi-i female to work with the other converter (dvi-i to vga). It doesn't work.
    When I plug in justthe 2 adapters, the screen says ‘cable is unplugged’ which seems normal. But when I plug the vga cable into the 2 adapters,it says ‘no signal’.
    Is it really possible that I cannot connect this analog vga monitor to digital dvi-d without using some sort of electronic converter box?? Is there no such thing as a vga to dvi-d that will work?
    Thanks for any help you can give... I'm trying not to have to purchase a new monitor.
    :confused: Mary

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    VGA is an analog signal, DVI-D is a digital signal, DVD-I has both digital and analog hence the extra pins.

You have several options:

1) Buy a new monitor that has digital inputs, either DVI or HDMI.

2) Buy a graphics card that has two ports that can be converted to VGA; so a native VGA port, a DVI-I port, or a Display Port.

3) Buy a converter unit which I wouldn't recommend.

VGA is on it's death bed and rightly so.

3. Meridian1

Meridian1 Thread Starter

Thanks for your help!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086689

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice