1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Problems with DHCP Errors

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Plainswalker77, Mar 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Plainswalker77

Plainswalker77 Thread Starter

I have a Compaq Presario SR1222NX computer
    Pentium 4 515 2.93 GHz
    Memory 2.49GB
    Specifications for computer are here:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00256286&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=437888#N81

I have been having DHCP Error problems seen in my Event Viewer/Systems under System Tools for some time. Can’t seem to get it fixed.

I needed more memory so I upgraded to 2.49 GB and the speed is doing fine. I had Office Depot do a PC Checkup and there were no viruses or malware. I just installed McAffee Total Protection 2011 when Norton expired, so I believe it is free of outside viruses. I even had a PC Tech from a private company come check it out since my internet was not working. He reset IE and Firefox and that seemed to fix the internet. However, I am still having the DHCP Errors and he is doing research to see how to fix it.

I was getting these DCOM Errors almost every 10 minutes until the Tech was here, but don’t get them anymore. Something he did must have helped this.

DCOM Error: The server XXXX did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

These are what I am still getting.

DHCP WARNING: Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address XXXXX. The following error occurred: The semaphore timeout period has expired. Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server. Event ID: 1003

DHCP ERROR: Your computer has lost the lease to its IP address xxxx on the Network Card with network address XXXX.. Event ID: 1000

DHCP ERROR: Your computer was not assigned an address from the network (by the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address XXXX. The following error occurred: The operation was canceled by the user. Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP Server.) Event ID: 1001

Can some one please help me with this.

Thank you,

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

ipconfig /flushdns and then ipconfig /registerdns

also

Event ID 1000 - Your computer has lost the lease to its IP address <IP address> on the Network Card with network address <MAC address>. Causes and Solutions:
    2. Some security software may cause this issue. Disable this software for test.

The problem for both COULD be the McAfee - try and disable it BUT ONLY of course for a trusted connection.
    See this from the McAfee forum
    if this does not work go to firewall > program permissions > check whether internet explorer is having full access . Also check anything related to network for blocked access . if internet explorer is not having full access , please allow full access for it .

3. properwichita

properwichita

Do both of Macboatmaster's suggestions at the command prompt. If that fails, try power-cycling your router. It is more than likely the DHCP server and may be having issues. These issues could have been causing your Internet issues.

Kevin

4. Plainswalker77

Macboatmaster,
    Thanks for your suggestions, but I really don't understand what you are saying. You said to disable McAfee for the test. What test?

These problems started in November and I just installed McAfee about a week ago. Could Norton have been causing the same problem?

How do I get to the firewall/ program Permissions etc. to check IE?

Thanks, but I am not too savy on all of this stuff.

5. Macboatmaster

flush the DNS cache first.
    In view of the time element and Norton etc I do not now think it is the McAfee.
    That was a copy and paste from the McAfee for the new Total Protection 2011.
    I presume they are saying that the McAfee firewall can affect the Internet Connection. He had similar symptoms to you.

To test if it is then OK and does not report the DCOM and DCHP errors.

6. Plainswalker77

I think I did flush the DNS. I figured out what you were talking about. I did a CMD on Run and then did ipconfig /flushdns and then ipconfig /registerdns. At 7:55pm I had another one of these:

DHCP
    Warning
    Event ID: 1003
    Category: None

Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card witih network address xxxx. The following error occurred:
    The operation was cancelled by the user. Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

7. Macboatmaster

Is this computer part of a network - and is that a home network or other network, if it is a home network do other computers have this problem. If it is NOT a home network I suggest you speak to the network administrator.

You may try Winsockfix if you wish
    http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html

Event ID 1003 - Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address <MAC address>. The following error occurred:
    The semaphore timeout period has expired. Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address {DHCP} server.

Resolutions: 1. Make sure you have good connection.
    2. If you use DHCP relay, make sure you can access the DHCP relay server.
    3. If there are more than 1 or 2 computers receive this Event ID, check the DNS settings.
    4. If only one computer has this issue, do ipconfig /flushdns and then ipconfig /registerdns. If that doesn’t fix the problem, setup TCP/IP manually to assign IP information and then re-set it using DHCP.

8. Plainswalker77

Thanks Macboatmaster,
    What I have is a home network with 2 computers - one desktop and one laptop. The laptop is not having the same problems.

You said: If you use DHCP relay, make sure you can access the DHCP relay server. I don't have a clue what that means.

I already did ipconfig /flushdns and then ipconfig /registerdns and it didn't fix it. I am still getting all of the same warning/errors that I put on my first posting of this thread. And I had another of the DCOM errors yesterday.

And I don't know how to: setup TCP/IP manually to assign IP information and then re-set it using DHCP. Is there a link that you know of somewhere that can show me how?

Thanks

9. Rockn

Rockn

First thing you need to know is what device is the one handing out the IP addresses. I am pretty sure there is no server involved since it is a small home network of two computers and that the router is morbably assigning your IP addresses for the network. Go to a command prompt and type IPCONFIG /ALL and post back here.

You could also test that DHCP is working by issuing "ipconfig /release & ipconfig /renew" at the command prompt.

10. Plainswalker77

Hi Rockin,

I have the info you asked for, but how do I copy it and get it in here. I even retyped it, but it won't copy. I have Greenshot. Will that work?

I also did the release and renew.

11. Macboatmaster

send it as a screenshot - not a file to be opened but actual cmd window. - press PrintScreen key
    Start
    Programs
    Accessories
    Paint
    Edit
    Paste
    File
    Save as
    JPEG
    Attach.

12. Plainswalker77

I have it in a .jpg, I just don't know how to attach it. I don't see anywhere to attach anything except a link.

13. Macboatmaster

Go advanced.

14. Plainswalker77

Thank you for your patience with a green grandma.

I hope this works.

Attached Files:

15. Macboatmaster

Ca I go back to my original question
    Windows firewall automatically opens the corrects ports for a home network
    If you're using Windows Firewall, you can skip this section, because Windows Firewall automatically opens the correct ports for file and printer sharing when you turn on network discovery. If you're using another firewall, you must open these ports yourself so that your computer can find other computers and devices that have files or printers that you want to share.

May I suggest that you then check that both computers are in the same workgroup.
    You should then see if you can ping the other computer.
    That is cmd and then type "ping and the ip address of the other computer.
    See this
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308007

Clearly since you have had the problem since November and you say it was Ok for a short while after the Tech vist. We really could do with knowing what has been tried since then.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!