1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Problems with dropped internet connection on hard wired computer but not on w

Discussion in 'Networking' started by txsrbl77, Mar 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. txsrbl77

txsrbl77 Thread Starter

I have a problem that I have been racking my brain over for the last few weeks.
    I have 4 computers networked in my house for internet sharing. My main computer is hard wired to my router (wrt54g).
    My problem is, the computer that is hard wired will lose internet connection but it will still show I am connected. I can jump on any of the other computer that are connected with a wireless connection and I can surf to my heart's content. I can reboot the problem computer and it will re-establish internet connection, but only for a little while.
    Any ideas? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    If any additional information is needed I will be more than happy to provide it.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Let's see the following from the computer after it loses it's connection.

Try these simple tests.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD (COMMAND for W98/WME) to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands one at a time, followed by the Enter key:

NOTE: For the items below in red surrounded with < >, see comments below for the actual information content, they are value substitutions from the previous command output!

IPCONFIG /ALL

PING <computer_IP_address>

PING <default_gateway_address>

PING <dns_servers>

PING 206.190.60.37

PING yahoo.com

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
    Paste the results in a message here.

<computer_IP_address> - The IP Address of your computer, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

<default_gateway_address> - The IP address of the Default Gateway, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

<dns_servers> - The IP address of the first (or only) address for DNS Servers, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

3. txsrbl77

txsrbl77 Thread Starter

thanks for your time. I think I figured out the problem. I hadn't thought about it but for some reason I thought to try installing a different networking card. after disabling the onboard networking, I finally got the new card working. everything seems to be working now.
    thanks again for your time.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Thanks for the feedback.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/806835