1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Problems with file type associations

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MicFiend13, Oct 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MicFiend13

MicFiend13 Thread Starter

I'm trying to add a couple of file extensions in Tools->Folder Options->File Types, but they keep disappearing. I clicked New, typed "m4a", and it came up, but none of the settings I enter (icon, file type description) have any effect. If I type in "AAC File" and and choose an icon, then click OK, nothing happens. The description in the File Types column remains as "M4A File" and the icon remains as the default WMP icon. If I close the window and open it again, I can't even find M4A in the list and have to add it again.

I can get it to remember to open with a certain program by opening the properties page of an M4A File, but that's all.

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

What do program do you want it to open in ????

Attached Files:

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Have you tried the "Open With" > "Choose Program" route ???

Attached Files:

4. MicFiend13

I want it to open in MP3Tag. That isn't the problem though, it's that I can't change the icon and description. (by description, I mean the text that is displayed after "Type:" in the infobox that appears when you hover over a file, or in the Type column when you have the folder view set to Details.)

It's not that important, I just want the generic icon I use for all music files to show up, and "AAC File" is easier to instantly recognise than "M4A File".

5. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Why not just Right click on the mp4 and choose mp3tag ???

Attached Files:

6. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Not sure I understand where you're trying to get to ???
    I couldn't find the AAC icon ???

Attached Files:

7. MicFiend13

I don't have a problem opening it in MP3Tag - that works.

If you look at your first attachment, it's the "Edit File Type" window that I'm having problems with. If I try to change the icon, it doesn't have any effect, and if I try to edit the text in the text box with "AAC audio", it doesn't have any effect either.

8. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Just a wild Guess .. You may have to reboot ???
    I'm not sure you can "Edit the Text" ... Have you tried to make a New Action ???

9. MicFiend13

I tried rebooting, but it didn't work. The changes are lost as soon as I click OK in the "Edit File Type" window.

e.g.
    1. Open Folder Options/File Extensions
    2. Click New, enter m4a, and click OK
    3. M4A File appears with a Windows Media Player icon at the top of the list.
    4. Click Advanced and the "Edit File Type" window appears, completely empty with no information.
    5. I choose an icon and type a description in the text box and click OK.
    6. The icon and description in the extensions list are the same as before.
    7. I click Advanced and it's completely empty again, all the info I entered is gone.

10. MicFiend13

8. I close the Folder Options window and re-open it. M4A is completely gone from the list.

11. stantley

stantley

The problem might be that WMP doesn't support m4a files.

If you don't have a player that plays m4a files get VLC media player.

12. MicFiend13

I have VLC Player, but I figured out how to save the options. When you're creating a new extension, you have to choose an associated file type by clicking Advanced. I chose "VLC media file (.m4a)", and then even if you remove all the options associated with VLC, it will retain whichever icon and description settings you want.

Thank you both for your help.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!