1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Problems with Fonts

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bizwiz2004, Jan 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bizwiz2004

bizwiz2004 Thread Starter

I restore my PC to factory settings after having many issues, my problems is I cannot seems to get my IE to look the way I want it to. i.e. address bar techguy,org is very small, File, edit View Favorites etc. very mall, Favorites button text is smalla s well as the tabs that shows what page you are on. My IE page looks great but its the the problems that I mention that is driving me up a tree!!! My taskbar at the bottom the fonts are small as well where the times and etc are, Would love some help in getting this fix as I am already in the Mrs. Magoo stage!!!

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Insofar as relates to the general appearance go Control Panel, Display, click the settings tab and adjust
    there as required.
    Having restored to factory settings you also need to go start, right click My Computer, click properties, then when that opens ,click hardware, then device manager and update your drivers for the display adaptors - that is your graphics, sound video and audio controllers and probably your network adaptor.
    There may be others to update.

Ensure you go Microsoft of course and install all updates, particularly SP3.

In respect of the IE page, if you still have issues, rmembering that you may also have to update IE, you really want IE8 but certianly no less than IE7 - go View on the menu bar and use Text size and Zoom as you wish.

3. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Rather than change Resolution or DPI settings, maybe just change the font sizes for those items:

Right click the Desktop, click Properties
    Click the Appearance tab
    Click the Advanced button
    In the Item: drop down, select these items and adjust the font size as desired:
    Menu for the File Edit ... menu, and text on tabs
    Icon for the text in the Address bar, Desktop Icons, Start Menu, text in Windows Explorer

4. bizwiz2004

Thanks TheOutcaste (love the name by the way), I think this is just what I need, I need to know which ones apply to the address bar and etc. Which one apply to the start menu and windows ecxplorer tabs? Let me know I think that is my problem I don't know which one applies to the issues and I go in and mess up everything.

5. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Theres only two for what you've mentioned:
    Before going to the Appearance tab, click the Theme tab, and if it shows in the list as (Modified), save it with a unique name, then you can revert easily just by switching back to that theme. If it doesn't have (Modified) after its name, it's already saved under the name shown.

6. bizwiz2004

Ok I understand which one is for the file edit and etc. but which one applies to the start menu? and the tabs?

7. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Opps, could have sworn the size of the text on tabs was included with the Icon setting, it seems to be set with the Menu item. I'll edit that.

Icon effects all of these:
    Start Menu
    Address bar
    IE Links text
    Desktop Icons
    Explorer text size

ToolTip effects the tool tip popups.

Can't hurt anything by experimenting. Change one setting, click OK, then apply, and check things out. If you don't like it, change it back, or reload the theme you saved. Changes you like you can save as another theme with a different name, then when you get everything the way you like, delete the ones you don't want to keep.

8. bizwiz2004

Thanks let me try this and I'll post back.

9. bizwiz2004

Hi TheOutcaste,
    Thanks for the help, I got a lot of it worked out but my only problem is the bar above the address bar which tells you what site you are in with the minimize or expand or collapse and the x to close out is still small along with the taskbar, those are the only two I need to resolve now, is there something else to fix that? Do you know what area I could use to fix my outlook messge fonts?

10. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Active and Inactive Title bar controls the Title Bar. This will also change the size of the Quick Launch and Notification icons.
    The minimize, restore, and close button sizes are controlled with the Caption Buttons item.

Are you wanting to make the Taskbar taller, or increase the text size?
    Right click the Task bar, make sure Lock the Taskbar is not checked.
    Put the mouse on the top edge of the Task bar, (when it changes to a vertical arrow [​IMG] you are in the right spot) then click and drag up to make it taller.

If you want to change the text size on the taskbar buttons and clock, you have to change the global Font size:
    Right click the Desktop, click Properties
    Click the Appearance tab
    Change the Font Size to Large or Extra Large instead of Normal.
    Or you can change the Screen Resolution on the Settings tab
    Or change the DPI Setting on the Settings tab, Advanced button, General tab.

11. bizwiz2004

Thanks you have really helped me bring my computer back to normal. I really appreciate it, my eyes thank you as well

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974225

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice