1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Problems with hard drive? Cannot run windows XP install

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ninjitsou, Feb 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ninjitsou

Ninjitsou Thread Starter

Alright, I just recently bought a hard drive like three months ago. I've installed windows on it about four or five times due to a reformat. I reformat again due to a virus and I get this error for the the first time:

"Windows XP Home Edition Setup
    Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed on your computer.
    Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk related hardware configuration is correct.
    This may involve running a manufacturer supplied dianostic or setup programs
    Setup cannot continue. To quit press F3"

This all happens during reformat when I hit enter to install windows. It's odd because I checked mu connections and made sure they were all plugged in, and it worked, but only for a few hours. Then my computer crashed (no blue screen or anything) and acted like it was restarting but didn't boot up or anything. I hit the power button to restart it and it would just stay at the bootup screen for my mother board (which gives ya the info on if ya wanna enter bios etc). So I go to reinstall my windows and it gives me this error again.

Any ideas? Is my hard drive just retarded? Should I go out and buy another one? Is it dying etc. because it's worked fine up until now and I've been able to install windows no problem before without needing any bootup disks to install drivers for my hard drive or anything. I've also checked the jumpers. There's no need for one if you only have one running hard drive for WD, so I took that off a while ago. Desperate for help, please.

Computer specs:
    Mobo: Asus P5B
    Processor: new Intel conroe processor.
    HD: Western Digital Sata.
    extra hd info: WD Caviar
    RE 16. WD1600 Serial ATA Hard Drive.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Have you by chance enabled any RAID functionality in the BIOS or made any changes in the BIOS recently? If so you'll need to load the SATA drivers for Windows to detect the drive. You should have those on the motherboard CD or from the ASUS website - or disable RAID.

3. markomus

markomus

Try using AVG or something, too. Consult some of SupportTechGuy's security experts, too. They can tell you how to keep your computer virus free and remove infections. Reformatting is NOT the best way to deal with viruses.

4. Ninjitsou

Ninjitsou Thread Starter

Sure thing thank you both. :)

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

How about heat? If you've had the machine a while, dust may have accumulated. Clear out vents, cooling fins, and make sure air flows freely. Let the machine sit before trying again and if it works, it was probably hot.

Set the BIOS to default or use setup defaults if you have that setting. Does the drive show up in BIOS? Does it show up if you use a different connector? Are the jumpers still on it?

6. Ninjitsou

Ninjitsou Thread Starter

I actually got so frustrated I just went out and bought another hard drive and now it works. Thanks for all the input guys, I really appreciate it. :D. BUT NOW, I got another compute to fix. Lucky me. The computer gods are striking me down with a vengeance. If you guys have any information on my other post for why my computer is not posting, please let me know. Thanks. Just take care of it all under that thread. Render this thread obsolete from here on out. Thanks. :D

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

You can mark your own threads "solved" using the Thread Tools above.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541346

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice