1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] problems with installing win 98

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by kkanders, Nov 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kkanders

kkanders Thread Starter

Big problems with Windows 98! I re-partitioned the hard drive, re-formated it and re-loaded Windows. Now the computer is not recognizing my plug and play devices. When I try to update the drivers I get an Explorer error, the computer freezes and I'm not getting anywhere with this. I tried to run the set up program again. Still error messages... I tried a different 98 disk, thinking the files might have been corrupted on my disk. Still the same messages. Any ideas?

2. Kwaite

Kwaite

Please post your system info.

It sounds like your system devices is not setup correctly, under the system properties. You are going need you system bd info if any to correctly install them in safe mode, or by copying the Inf files directly into the windows\inf directory in Dos mode.

Please Post your system info and you could be helped further.

3. rkselby98

rkselby98

Try this, reformat the hard drive and then before you try installing windows remove all hardware cards except video and one cd.

Then Install windows and after windows is installed install one card at a time and all should go in ok.

4. kkanders

kkanders Thread Starter

Thanks Rick,
    I still can't get my sound card to work but the modem is working with no problems! I am very happy that I'm not getting any error messages now.... But I tried to load internet explorer 5 and I got himem.sys errors. I think my disk has a virus on it. So I'll keep IE 4 for now. As for my sound card... Is it dead do you think? Everything used to work fine until I let a hacker friend of mine borrow my computer...

5. rkselby98

rkselby98

Glad to hear we are making progress. Now what I would do is update to IE 5.5. Make sure you do the service packs.

The sound card, after you update, them remove the sound card and then reinstall it and it should work. Make sure it is seated correctly. I have my doubts if a hacker could have done anything to corrupt the sound card. Most likely it isn't seated correctly or it doesn't have the correct drivers installed.

Keep me informed, I will be around most of the day today.

6. kkanders

kkanders Thread Starter

Everything is working great now - Thanks Rick

7. rkselby98

rkselby98

Your quite welcome, glad I could help and feel free to email me any time you need help.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58093

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice