Solved: problems with LAN, limited or no connectivity - already tried most of the things

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Sysco

hi,
I've been having this problem with my LAN for 2 days now, unable to fix it. Everything worked fine until recently, when I got some spyware on my computer and I think the spyware deleted or changed some of the things (settings) required for LAN.

I have win xp pro sp2, small LAN (3 computers connected via d-link hub), other OS's on other 2 PC's are WIN2K and WINXP pro sp1. As I said, it all worked happily until I removed the spyware (quite possible that I have actually removed something that wasn't supposed to be removed too). And now only my internet works (cable modem through USB).

I tried almost everything I could find. I tried all suggestions from Microsoft help center, I tried winxp patch (supposedly to fix this problem), also Winsocksxp fix.... etc etc.. uninstalling drivers for network adapters and installing them again.. booting numerous times, powering off... virus scanning but I didn't try reinstalling windows yet... nothing seemed to help so far. (I tried setting static IP too on my lan card settings... didnt work... oh yes, another funny thing I found (that wasn't present before) is that when my cable modem is switched off the Internet connection connects itself again somehow assigning some weird ip address!, the internet doesnt work of course, but it still shows as "connected"????)

What do I do?

Sysco

ok, this was a tough one but i fixed it :D

the problem was in the registry, one of the values was missing, I fixed it with file sharedaccess.reg found on the net somewhere, i then reinstalled network with my xp cd and everything's back to normal :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online