1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Problems with Mass Effect on PC?

Discussion in 'Games' started by theant4, Jan 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. theant4

theant4 Thread Starter

I'm interested in playing the Mass Effect games but I've been reading horror stories about the SecuROM software that supposedly comes with them and how many problems it has caused. I've found some places saying that BioWare finally removed the software after having so many complaints, but then I read something else that's dated AFTER it was supposedly removed saying people are still having issues. So here's my point:

1) Is the SecuROM software still attached to the Mass Effect games or not?

2) If it is, does it really cause all the problems people say it does? Because I've read other reviews that go on and on about how amazing the game was and never even mention it.

3) What exactly does it do? I know it's anti-piracy software of some sort, but what's all this about only 3 "activations?" What does it mean by that, and why might you need to "reactivate" it in the first place?

4) Basic question: have you, the reader of this question, personally played Mass Effect on the PC and had trouble with the SecuROM software?

Any input would be appreciated. There's so much to read from different websites that it's difficult to keep track of what has changed and what's still accurate. :confused:

2. DerekC

DerekC

Besides occasional lockups (only in elevators, so just quick save before entering) I've never had a problem with Mass Effect 1 or 2.

3. theant4

theant4 Thread Starter

okay good! so what happens if you get stuck in an elevator? lol

so the secuROM thing didn't make it any harder to install or anything?

4. DerekC

DerekC

I think they actually solved the elevator problem with later updates, but what would happen was you would enter an elevator, then the sound would start clicking, then the program crashes.

I never had any problems with the secuROM. Only once did it ever ask me to be online for verification, and that was just after installing before it launched the program.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974539

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice