1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Problems With MP3 File Extension in Windows Vista

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Roogle, Jul 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Roogle

Roogle Thread Starter

Windows Vista appears to have lost its extension information on the MP3 file type.

The problem occurs in Internet Explorer when saving a .mp3 file from any website. The Save As dialog interprets the .mp3 as a Movie Clip, .mpeg, and proceeds to save and download the file as it would any other .mpeg file. What could be causing this strange file type association in Windows Vista and Internet Explorer 7? I am on Windows Vista Home Premium.

The problem continues throughout Windows Vista and Windows Explorer. When I edited the program association of .mp3 and set it to play in Windows Media Player, the description for the file read, "File: Windows Media Player file" rather than, "File: MPEG-1 Audio Layer 3" or whatever it should read normally. This leads me to suspect that a program botched the file type information on .mp3.

Does anyone have any idea how this problem might be resolved? I have tried changing .mp3 to open in various media players, but the problem appears to be with the code behind file type rather than the programs opening it; furthermore, .mp3 files play fine across all media players without any trouble.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

So what is the exact problem? Do the files download correctly and are only mis-categorized in the download box, or is it something else?

3. Roogle

Roogle Thread Starter

.mp3 files download as .mpeg. There is no way to save it as an MP3, regardless of the website and the filename, unless I select All Files and add .mp3 to it myself.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

OK. I see the problem. Probably, it has an incorrect MIME type as well as file association.

I'll be back. Promise.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try the attached reg file. Be sure your browser is closed for the change to take effect. Try a download and let me know if that was enough.

Attached Files:

• mp3.zip
      File size:
      497 bytes
      Views:
  6. Roogle

Roogle Thread Starter

I will try the enclosed solution tonight. Thank you for your assistance.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Good luck. I think it should work to repair the MIME type (Mp3 is an mpeg), but it may not if the mpeg MIME is damaged, too. But before you give up on it, after you merge the reg file, be sure to restart your browser. If it still doesn't work, restart your machine, and if it still doesn't, tell me. :D

I have been assuming the you were using IE or a variant since Firefox handles MIME dsifferently. Is that correct? If Firefox, try it anyway, but you may need something else.

8. Roogle

Roogle Thread Starter

Yes. I use Internet Explorer 7. This is a problem that seems to occur within Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer alike, but, as you said, Firefox handles MIME differently and I am able to save .mp3s fine there. The dialogue boxes still assume it is an MPEG file.

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

I'm not sure where we are. You applied the reg file already?

10. Roogle

Roogle Thread Starter

No, no - not yet. Thank you for following this thread. I will be applying the registry file in about three hours after I get home from work.

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

Oh, OK. We'll try that first, assuming that the mp3 MIME type is wrong, and not the mpeg (complicated by the fact that mp3 is an mpeg sub-type "mpeg layer 3").

12. Roogle

Roogle Thread Starter

Elvandil, your solution with the registry file worked perfectly. It seems like everything is back to normal! I think a recent WinAmp installation botched the .mp3 MIME type or something. Thanks for your help. I am going to mark the topic as Solved.

13. Elvandil

Elvandil

One case where a shotgun approach worked well. If you fix all of the entries, you're bound to hit the right one. But I'm glad I didn't have to root around and find any more :D

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/734703

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice