1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Problems with my email attachments

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by colin Standish, Oct 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. colin Standish

colin Standish Thread Starter

I use windows XP and outlook express to send emails.The problem is that when they are opened the attached pics all turn out as 'computer code', this as even happened with forwarded emails. Can anyone help to resolve the problem please?

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Are they being sent as pictures? What's the file extension?
    What steps are you taking to send them? Be specific.
    Can none of the recipients open any of the pictures?
    Do they have the correct file extension of a picture file when they get to the recipients?
    What program(s) are they using to open the files?
    What happens if you send these pictures / files to yourself?
    What program do you use to open them?

3. colin Standish

Hi friend,
    first of all I must thank you for taking the time and trouble to reply to my plea assistance, secondly I must apologise for the the delay in my response. I am also virtually a novice at this game so I must beg your patience as I try my best to explain what is happening with my PC.
    When I elect to attach a photo to an email the 'insert attachment' box displays.... File Type, All Types ( * * ) .The line in the email dialog box which informs you of the attachments then reads New Photos' .jpg (1.20MB), then when I come to send the message a box titled Outlook Express opens containing the following statement... You are sending this message as a rich text (HTML) message, some recipients prefare to recieve only plain text messages, how would you like to send this message. then I am given the options to check.
    I feel that somewhere along the line my " settings " have been changed as this particular problem as not always been present and up to fairly recently I have had no trouble sending emails with attachments to the same people.
    Thanks for your patience, I hope this information can assist you in diagnosing the problems I am encountering.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Please answer the rest of the questions.

5. VistaRookie

VistaRookie

...just a comment, if you are inserting/embedding pictures, you must
    choose HTML. If you are simply attaching the pictures, either format
    should work.

Please finish answering DoubleHelix's questions.

6. colin Standish

I will try to answer you questions but as I said at the start I am still learning my way around my PC so please be patient.
    I have tried sending the same email to both of my own email addresses ie. one at Yahoo and the other at Orangehome. The test message as an attachment of a .jpg file of 302 KB .
    With Yahoo the message was recieved as 7 seperate items, 6 of 61KB and 1 of 59KB, none of which could be opened to form the original picture. At the Orange address the message was again recieved as 7 seperate items but the then combined to form one which could then be opened, albeit in a large size that could only be fully viewed by scrolling through it.I also forwarded a message containing 22 pictures the same 2 addresses with the same results for both addresses.
    By "what program do you use to open them" would that be Outlook Express and Yahoo mail ?
    Ever since this problem occured none of the recipients have been able to open any of the photo attachments that I have sent them.
    I don't know what programs the recipients are using to recieve/open their emails and I am sorry that I do not understand what you mean in your second question about file extensions other than the files that I attach have the extension .jpg.
    I hope this helps you in your diagnosis, thanks.

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If you're attaching one file and recipients are getting 7, something is clearly amiss. Are you using an e-mail client to send the messages (such as Outlook, Outlook Express, Thunderbird, etc.)? Or are you logging into a web site to send the messages? Does the same thing happen if you send the message using either method?

8. colin Standish

The program that I use to send and recieve/open my emails is outlook express. I'm sorry to admit that I am quite ignorant about using the other method of sending mail which you mention so I can't comment about the results of any such actions.

9. VistaRookie

VistaRookie

Check your settings for Outlook Express and adjust them
    if necessary to match the ones on this website:

Cloudeight Stationery Help- Windows XP Service Pack 2:
    http://thundercloud.net/help/sp2.htm

You may be sending too many images in one email. It is
    good to be aware of the total size of the email because all
    providers have a size limit.

Go to this setting:
    OE->Tools->Accounts->highlight your account->Properties->
    Advance Tab.

Be sure this is unchecked: Break apart messages larger than

10. colin Standish

Vista Rookie,
    it seems that unchecking the 'break' box as done the trick. Youhave made a guy near Liverpool (UK) and his sister in Spain very happy, thanks also to "Double Helix" for taking the time and trouble to try and help me.

11. VistaRookie

VistaRookie

Glad it worked for you, thanks for the feed back.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756265

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice