1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Problems with new motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by oneSorcerer, Feb 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. oneSorcerer

oneSorcerer Thread Starter

I just installed a new motherboard in my system, (I had formatted and installed xp pro already). When it goes to boot I get blue screen that says

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this is the first time recieving this message, reboot..."

It also gives some things to try, like checking for viruses and configuring hard drive controllers. What should I do?

Any help is most appreciated.

2. norton850

norton850

Did your hard drive already have XP on it when you put it in with the new motherboard?

3. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Is your ram one stick or two? You might want to try it one stick at a time and see what happens if it is more than one. You could also download microsofts memory tester and run it.

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

If this is not an exact replacement motherboard you should be prepared to reinstall windows. That could be an issue also.

4. oneSorcerer

Yeah, I formatted, reinstalled XP, switched out the mobos.

I'm only using one stick of memory, and I'm more than prepared to reinstall windows.

Thanks for the quick replies

5. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Run the memory tester. If it passes on one pass on default settings, reinstall windows. Your HDD and windows are expecting to see certain hardware. If it isn't seen it can cause the crash.

6. oneSorcerer

Thanks again for the response.

But Windows won't boot, I can't download/install/run anything... I get the error right when the Windows logo should pop up.

I'm on my neighbors computer atm.

7. barfly

barfly

xp doesn't like hardware changes, I think you may have to reformat/reinstall.

8. oneSorcerer

Thanks, I'll try that and get back to ya'll.

9. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

The memory tester doesn't run in windows. It runs from a floppy before anything else boots. If you try installing windows on bad ram it isn't going to work out for you.

Chances are that a reinstall will fix it, but if windows won't install you are back to wondering if the memory is OK. It takes 5 minutes to do a quick check which is why I recommended it.

10. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

/\ An hour ago. I think you could have run the memtest and had windows reinstalled by now if you had tried what I asked you to try.:confused:

11. oneSorcerer

Problem solved. Memory checked out OK, and reinstalling windows did the trick. Lots of thanks, sorry I took so long to get back here.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329732

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice