1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Problems with New Sony Vaio

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Pandimensional, Mar 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pandimensional

Pandimensional Thread Starter

I have posted a few other times recently regarding this epic piece of junk Sony Vaio laptop that I am helping a friend set up.

It was performing so poorly that I disabled many services to help speed things up a bit. I was told here that disabling services could lead to more problems, so for the sake of troubleshooting, I've restored the system to the state it was in right out of the box.

There are a couple of blaring problems. Things seem to freeze up at times, I can't click at certain times and the biggest issue is that the system appears to hang and/or go at an EXTREMELY low speed during certain functions.

One example is Windows Update. I'm quite familiar with Windows Update on XP. I've never used Vista, but I would think it would be similar. I've never seen updates take this long, and these aren't large updates either.

This screen had stayed like this for almost 10 minutes. No movement on the progress bar whatsoever. Eventually it starts up and will finish but, it takes FOREVER:

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p77/pianoman1976/DSC00177.jpg

There were other updates too, that were rather small (under 100 mb) that just froze for an eternity before finishing, at best going VERY slowly. I'm talking having to wait 20 minutes for updates that should have taken minutes.

Some of the updates required a restart at which point I could have written a couple of novels by the time it finally booted into windows after various reboots and a strange screen I have never seen before (black, dos like screen with escalating counting numbers with file names).

This computer is brand new, right out of the box from Comp USA. It looks very cool, but performs like crap. Could this be a lemon?

I've never had a brand new computer act like this, yet I've never used Vista - so I'm not sure what to think.

Here's just a few of the many errors I'm getting:

Log Name: System
    Source: Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM
    Date: 3/28/2009 9:40:42 PM
    Event ID: 10005
    Task Category: None
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: Sederia-Laptop
    Description:
    DCOM got error "1053" attempting to start the service WSearch with arguments "" in order to run the server:
    {7D096C5F-AC08-4F1F-BEB7-5C22C517CE39}
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM" Guid="{1B562E86-B7AA-4131-BADC-B6F3A001407E}" EventSourceName="DCOM" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="49152">10005</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-03-29T04:40:42.000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>42194</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>Sederia-Laptop</Computer>
    <Security />
    </System>
    <EventData>
    <Data Name="param1">1053</Data>
    <Data Name="param2">WSearch</Data>
    <Data Name="param3">
    </Data>
    <Data Name="param4">{7D096C5F-AC08-4F1F-BEB7-5C22C517CE39}</Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

Source: Microsoft-Windows-Servicing
    Date: 3/27/2009 8:13:04 PM
    Event ID: 4385
    User: SYSTEM
    Description:
    Windows Servicing failed to complete the process of changing update WUClient-SelfUpdate-Aux-sl-SI-LP-Toplevel from package WUClient-SelfUpdate-Aux(Feature Pack) into Absent(Absent) state
    Event Xml:
    <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Servicing" Guid="{bd12f3b8-fc40-4a61-a307-b7a013a069c1}" EventSourceName="Microsoft-Windows-Servicing" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="49152">4385</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-03-28T03:13:04.000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>12133</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
    </System>
    <UserData>
    <CbsUpdateChangeState xmlns="http://manifests.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/windows/setup_provider">
    <UpdateName>WUClient-SelfUpdate-Aux-sl-SI-LP-Toplevel</UpdateName>
    <PackageIdentifier>WUClient-SelfUpdate-Aux</PackageIdentifier>
    <ReleaseType>Feature Pack</ReleaseType>
    <UpdateState>Absent</UpdateState>
    <PackageAssembly>WUClient-SelfUpdate-Aux-TopLevel~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~7.2.6001.788</PackageAssembly>
    <UpdateDisplayName>
    </UpdateDisplayName>
    <Operation>Installed</Operation>
    <OperationCompleted>True</OperationCompleted>
    <ErrorCode>0x800f0806</ErrorCode>
    <RebootOption>False</RebootOption>
    </CbsUpdateChangeState>
    </UserData>
    </Event>

Source: Microsoft-Windows-Servicing
    Date: 3/27/2009 8:13:04 PM
    Event ID: 4385
    User: SYSTEM
    Description:
    Windows Servicing failed to complete the process of changing update WUClient-SelfUpdate-Aux-sk-SK-LP-Toplevel from package WUClient-SelfUpdate-Aux(Feature Pack) into Absent(Absent) state
    Event Xml:
    <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Servicing" Guid="{bd12f3b8-fc40-4a61-a307-b7a013a069c1}" EventSourceName="Microsoft-Windows-Servicing" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="49152">4385</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-03-28T03:13:04.000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>12132</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
    </System>
    <UserData>
    <CbsUpdateChangeState xmlns="http://manifests.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/windows/setup_provider">
    <UpdateName>WUClient-SelfUpdate-Aux-sk-SK-LP-Toplevel</UpdateName>
    <PackageIdentifier>WUClient-SelfUpdate-Aux</PackageIdentifier>
    <ReleaseType>Feature Pack</ReleaseType>
    <UpdateState>Absent</UpdateState>
    <PackageAssembly>WUClient-SelfUpdate-Aux-TopLevel~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~7.2.6001.788</PackageAssembly>
    <UpdateDisplayName>
    </UpdateDisplayName>
    <Operation>Installed</Operation>
    <OperationCompleted>True</OperationCompleted>
    <ErrorCode>0x800f0806</ErrorCode>
    <RebootOption>False</RebootOption>
    </CbsUpdateChangeState>
    </UserData>
    </Event>

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Vista is a very good operating system. It has the potential to be better than XP, if it isn't alredy. It shouldn't run like crap.

Disabling services will not speed things up, generally speaking. The NT kernel is services-based, unlike 9x, and services use no resources unless they are performing a function. They only use memory. So there is no "resource" limit in NT, nor any possible "resource meters".

But, all that aside, about all I can think of that would make a new machine act that way is all the junk that usually accompanies new machines. You have probably already looked at all the startups and possble background programs that may be doing God-knows-what.

It's very possible that you got as lemon, or that there is too little RAM, or that there are disk errors (which sometimes only show themselves as slowness), or something else. But I would not expect any new machine to behave that way.

3. Mollie

Mollie

This may or may not have anything to do with it, but what anti-virus program does the system have?

Have you looked at the Sony Vaio site to see if there is anything about the problems you are experiencing with your friend's computer?

Have you tried running the memory diagnostic test?

Mollie

4. Pandimensional

I've tried it two ways now. One with the built in Windows Live security suite which is offered as a 90 day free trial. My second go at this invlovled me removing the latter and installing AVG free. Either way, I still have problems.

My next step is to contact customer service or the Vaio site as you advised.

How do I run the memory diagnostic test in Vista?

5. Pandimensional

I've finished my work on this computer and have given it back to it's owner. It seems to be working okay.

I did find the program that lists all the problems the computer has encountered, then send these problems to MS and tries to find solutions online. There was a page long list of various things I didn't understand, nor was it able to find any solutions.

My take is that a new computer shouldn't have any entries on this list.

Yet it works okay now. I'll advise her to consider exchanging it if problems continue.

I'm going to keep this thread "unsolved" because I'm curious to hear from an advanced user what those event items mean that I listed.

Thanks.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Those codes look like simply 2 attempts to update using Windows Update that failed, possibly due to the machine's not being online at the scheduled times.

It is possible for even a new machine to have "errors". Not all errors are equal, of course, and some are completely irrelevant to most users, or users not in a domain, for example.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/813690

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice