1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Solved) Problems with norton and email

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by ronkat, Feb 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ronkat

ronkat Thread Starter

Hi, Here I go again with problems. I have tried to run Norton and it stops have way thru. I receive the message illegal program and at the top is Navapw32. Also I can't into my email because it says norton can't run and then gives me an error. Can you help me again? Thanks

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

ronkat
    First lets make sure the problem is not being caused by something messing around with Norton Antivirus. Do a free online Virus scan at Housecalls and let it help you fix any problems it may find.
    http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

If nothing is found then the best course of action here is to uninstall and reinstall NAV, then retrieve all the updates.

Dave

3. ronkat

ronkat Thread Starter

I tried to run the virus scan on the site but it wouldn't work, so how do I uninstall the Nav and reinstall it. Thanks

4. Davey7549

Davey7549

ronkat

Not being able to run Housecalls is making me more suspicious of a Virus. One such Virus currently making its rounds is Yaha and it will attempt to disable Antivitus and Firewalls.

This is a shot in the dark but go here and download and run the removal tool by Symantec. You will find it a ways down this site.

See if that helps the situation.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/[email protected]

Again I am not sure that is the problem but it sure will not hurt to try.

Keep us posted and then we will try the uninstall reinstall of NAV.

Dave

5. ronkat

ronkat Thread Starter

I finally was able to run the virus scan and there was no viruses so I guess the next step is the Nav uninstall and reinstall

6. Davey7549

Davey7549

ronkat
    That is good to here! You had me concerned that Yaha was doing its dirty work!

Anyway to uninstall Reinstall you will need your NAV install CD handy.

Go to Control Panel Add-Remove programs and locate The line entry for Norton antivirus and highlight and select remove. You may receive a warning but OK it. After uninstall restart system to desktop and insert your Nav install CD then follow prompts for install. I always say no to go update during install. After install completes then go live update Nav.

Also here is Nortons formal article on uninstall.
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001061911223206

Dave

7. ronkat

ronkat Thread Starter

Hi Dave, Thanks so much everything is running much better. As always you guys are GREAT!!!! Thanks again.

8. Davey7549

Davey7549

ronkat
    Glad we could be of help!

Dave

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!