Solved: Problems with Outlook 2000

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

schneggy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am having some strange issues arise with Outlook 2000 (Internet only). I have machines running w2k pro, and are connected to a w2k server. After the user logs in, Outlook is unable to connect to the POP3 mail server (hosted off site). However, if after I log in, I open up the web-browser (Firefox) first, then I open Outlook and I connect fine. After logging out and back in though, the issue still remains, and I have to connect to the internet first again to connect to the hosted mail server.

I know that it isn't an issue with the hosted mail server, because the machines that are on the old Novell server connect fine.

The machines have just been reformatted and W2K was just installed. All the software is up to date with the latest Windows updates. There is nothing on the machines as far as software besides the OS, Office 2000, and Antivirus.

The machines are running Symantec Corporate Edition 10, but when I disable the antivirus the problem remains.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated....

Schneggy

schneggy

No, but I can't ping them after I open the browser either, when Outlook is working. I'm not sure if it is supposed to respond though since it's a POP3 and SMTP account...I can however ping other IPs before opening the browser...

Can you ping them after you load your browser?

What I am trying to help you figure out is if it is a problem with Outlook or something else.

schneggy

Issue is resolved...it turned out that the problem was within the firewall. The previous net admin has the thing buttoned up pretty tight...when I switched servers, it changed the primary DNS... Thanks, anyway...

Figured it was outside of Outlook since you couldn't ping either way. One reason for that testing. It at least helps eliminate sources of the problem so you can look elsewhere.

schneggy

Oddly enough, I was able to ping other addresses, like the ISP, without opening the browser first which is where I was getting confused. Everything seemed to be able to get out except Outlook...which is why I focused on it...

I just started doing this, and I've taken over for someone who was pretty terrible about documenting anything. I have a pile of passwords and that's about it. No IPs, no configuration information, nothing. So it is a lot of trial and error at this point till I can get everything looked at...

Anyway, I appreciate the replies...thanks...

That's where the ping tests can be useful. In this case it showed the cause of the problem wasn't Outlook.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online