1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Problems with rebooting Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ctrlaltdel, Sep 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ctrlaltdel

ctrlaltdel Thread Starter

One of my computers, running Windows XP, has problems rebooting. It will load up just fine, and shut down fine when going through the start menu. But when asked to reboot going through the start menu, it shuts down and starts to start back up, but wont finish the booting process.

I bought the machine from a friend, and it's done this since I got it. It's never really bothered me until now. I tried installing the update for XP and it ask that you reboot your computer. Rebooting doesn't work.

I am hoping that I can get this fixed with out re-installing Windows XP again.

Thanks for the help.

2. dai

dai

run
    sfc /scannow
    dont miss the space after the c
    if this does not work you can do a repair by popping in the xp cd and reboot the computer, make sure the cd is set to first boot in the bios first
    choose install
    ignore the first repair option and continue with install
    when windows fins the previous installation then choose this repair option
    this will leave all of your files intact,but you will have to reload your video drivers and any ms updates i.e. sp1 ect

3. ctrlaltdel

ctrlaltdel Thread Starter

Thanks for the help,
    Ctrlaltdel

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!