1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Problems with Sony CD-RW Drive/XP?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Mark Schallow, Dec 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mark Schallow

Mark Schallow Thread Starter

Encounter the following when trying to install either Norton SystemWorks or MS FrontPage 2002. Have the latest drivers for the CD-RW drive...Any ideas/recommendations? The same error msg comes up on the MS FP install also...

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance!

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

Mark
    Could find very little on error 1311 and what I found does not relate to the CDRW drive. Here is a Symantec article that is similiar to your problem and may offer a lead. Other than that I am coming up empty. MS KB shows nothing on error 1311 and search on groups lists one related to Office 2000 and that is it.
    Hope that gives you some leads.
    Dave

Click http://service2.symantec.com/SUPPOR...ymantec.com/custom/us/techsupp/kb/query.html?

3. Mark Schallow

Mark Schallow Thread Starter

Thanks, Davey. Went to the link and they suggested copying the entire CD to my hard drive and install from there! Worked like a charm!

:cool:

4. Davey7549

Davey7549

Mark
    Glad to here you had success. I am bookmarking this error since it is a problem with a vague solution.
    Thanks for the reply back.
    Dave

5. Damocles

Damocles

Ran across the same problem with error 1311 when trying to install a program. Search turned up this:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;325076

Under administrative tools (I'm using W2K), Local Security Policy\Security Settings\Local Policies\Security Options\Restrict CD ROM access to locally logged on user only - should be disabled. Something about Windows Installer conflicting with this policy even in Administrator mode. Funny, I thought the Administrator was God. Apparently M$ knows better (sarcasm intended).

Also, there is a registry hack but I'm not going into that.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60903

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice