1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Problems with VPN Performance

Discussion in 'Networking' started by wilkie1984, Mar 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wilkie1984

wilkie1984 Thread Starter

We have just re-built a server on one of our sites because we have been having some serious performance problems when users are connecting to the VPN via remote desktop connection.

When the user logs into the VPN there is a major lag when typing e-mails or word documents really when they are doing anything. This is now becoming a serious issue as it is effecting users work load.

All of the computers connect to switches all of diffrent makes. There is around 8 or 9 of them throughout the building and the PC's connect to them which then connect to the server. I have just started with the company 3 weeks ago and i have said that this is not an ideal set up to have when there are so many users as all it takes is for one of the switches to get blocked and it would have a knock on effect for every user on the network.

Ideally we are looking in the longer term to get the building properly wired and we think this would solve the performance issues we are having with this network but we need something in place for now that will make the users see a diffrence in performance.

Also i was wondering if anyone knows of any problems with people using Vista computers and then connecting to the VPN would this cause any kind of performance issue?

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreshiated and welcomed.

Thanks in advance

2. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

You did a great job describing your issues but forgot to include any content that would help diagnose/address your issues. Since you have been there a short time my suggestion is you fully understand/document the servers and lan before you suggest changes. In the meantime if you could provide:

Server or servers ram/cpu/drive information [especially the vpn server(s)]
    switch topology [what connects to what until you get to the server(s)]
    why/where you are using vpns
    what is the bandwidth associated with that/those vpns

3. wilkie1984

wilkie1984 Thread Starter

Hi there,

Sorry about my lack of information about the current network setup.

I was up at the site yesterday and it turns out that it is one of the switches that needed upgraded.

the VPN connection speed at the site has now greatly improved. I have put in a new D-Link ADSL (version 2) modem and reconfigured the D-Link router. I have been able to get a good number of users logged in to the VPN at the same time and the speed did not greatly reduce. Users are now able to type and see there results with only a couple of seconds delay. The old modem was an ADSL version 1 modem and the vast majority of lines where upgraded to version 2 within the last year, it would appear the sites line was upgraded to version 2 and the old modem was not able to cope with the amount of traffic on the new protocols.

Looks like problem solved.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the top of the page in the upper right corner.© :)

[​IMG]

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697255

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice