Solved: Problems with WD External Drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Curtisin

Today I tried to access my Western Digital Portable Drive. However, it's now telling me that I need to format the drive.
I tried connecting it to a different PC which gave me the exact same result. Again saying I needed to format it.
For rather obvious reasons I'd prefer not format it, as there's a lot of data on it.
I've tried running a Chkdsk on it, but it's saying that I haven't got permission to do so, when doing that through the command window prompt. (Tried running that as administrator, but no results).

Anyone able to help me out?

Thanks in advance. :)

crjdriver

You are actually lucky you were not able to run chkdsk; chkdsk is done after all else fails ie a last ditch option.

The very first thing I would do would be to pull the drive out of the enclosure and connect it as an internal drive. This will tell you very quickly if the problem is with the drive itself or the enclosure. If you are not able to access the drive after connecting as an internal drive, then run data recovery software on the drive.

This is just one of the reasons why we stress backups so much. Remember data you do not backup is data you do not care about. All drives fail; it is only a question of when your drive will fail.

Curtisin

Yeah that's the problem. This drive WAS my backup drive :p

I'll have a go at the enclosure and recovery and see what happens. Thanks :)

crjdriver

If it was a backup, then no problem. Simply buy a new drive and restore the backup from the original files. Note backup means just that you have at least two copies of data files on separate media.

Curtisin

The thing is that I needed the backup from that drive for a reason, as the original files had been deleted (I tried a data recovery on them, but they came back without data).
That said though, I just tried formatting the Drive, and it was unable to do even that, so I can't run a data recovery on it. :S
Could it be a corruption of the sectors? there seems to be no physical damage to the drive.

Curtisin

Yeah, a little update:
Tried to run a format using the Western Digital Lifeguard Tools from WD's homepage, and it seems that it is a bad sector that's causing all the problems.
I get this error "Test Error Code: 09-Sector #6148096-6148352::Write Zeros error! ".
So now to find a way to salvage my files :(

crjdriver

If you are not able to recover the files with software, you can take the drive to a shop that does data recovery. Get an estimate first since this is NOT cheap. Prices do vary however where I live a basic data recovery using software [which is probably not an option] runs $125 or so and goes way up from there if you need the drive disassembled and the data read from the platers.

Curtisin

Thanks for the advise Crj :)

I'm going to be trying with a few different types of software to see what I can find. If that doesn't cut it, I'll get in contact with some of the data recovery places to get an idea for how much it'll cost. If it runs up to too much I'll probably just leave it since none of the data is truly Vital, just insanely annoying to lose.

Will mark this as solved now, thanks. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online