Solved: Problems with Windows Update

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Schuette

I've been having a problem with Windows Update - I've had it for a week now. I'm logged on as an admin in XP, all the accounts are admin accounts, however when I run Update it tells me that I'm not admin and therefore cannot search for updates or download or install. What's worrying me is that since this started I haven't had any alerts from XP's built in Update so I'm worried that it's affecting that as well and I could be missing vital updates.

The only thing that I can think may have affected it is that I had to change my internet connection slightly and use a proxy server as I was having trouble viewing Ebay files. I ran some scans then (Ewido, Panda, Spybot, Ad-aware, MS anti-spyware, Spyware Doctor) and they all came up clean. I've since run Panda again and that was ok. I was wondering whether maybe the proxy server has screwed Update's ability to 'probe' my pc. I changed back but it still didn't work.

Can anyone help me?

(Win XP SP2)

Schuette

Thank you Dan for replying.

Unfortunately that didn't work (although I've found where I can download the updates from manually so thats a plus) the last two don't apply to XP but I tried them anyway! The first one said about installing a scripting engine - I did that and restarted but I'm still getting the error.

Hey buddy,

Check the Error Code when the update fails, search for that error code in Google. U'll surely find a solution for that..

TRY this> start run>type regedit>go to H key current user> software\microsoft\windows\current version\policies\windows update\ seek called disable windows update acess, file should be 0 if set at 1 double click to set to 0 ,if yo make a change re boot when done

Schuette

I don`t have a windows update folder in policies - nly condlg32 and explorer

I have one in current version thou

Schuette

I found this

0x8DDD0002 = ErrorNotAdmin

Error 0x8DDD0002 – incorrect permissions for the %windir%\softwaredistribution folder. Possible fix: Reset the permission on the softwaredistribution folder

WinXP Pro :-

1. Open windows explorer, locate c:\windows\softwaredistribution folder.
2. Right-click on the folder, choose properties. Click on the security tab.
3. Make sure Administrators and System have full control.
4. Click on the advanced button and put a checkmark in "Replace permissions entries on..."
5. Click on the owner tab, select Administrators and check "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects."
6. Now make sure "automatic updates" and "BITS" services are started. If they are not started, then start them.
7. Try WU again.

WinXP Home you must boot into safe mode and login as administrator and then perform the above steps 1 – 7.

No guarantees ....................

Thing is when i try to do step 4 - when I g back into it it's unchecked again. Also I haven't a clue how to do do step 6. Can someone give me a dummies run on this one. Using XP Home not Pro.

Schuette

lol Ok, sorted, my own fault - i was 'tidying' folders and hid the windows folder. i've unhid it now and it's working.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online