1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Problems with Yahoo Instant Messenger

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by iamconfused, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. iamconfused

iamconfused Thread Starter

Ever since having a new hard drive installed on my computer a week ago I've been unable to use Yahoo Messenger. I can get signed in but Messenger itself doesn't display on my monitor and a dialogue box with the following message appears on my monitor:

Microsoft Visual C ++ LIbrary

Runtime Error!

Program: C:\ Program Files|Yahoo!\Messenger\ypager.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.

I've emailed Yahoo for help but I haven't gotten any definitive help from them as of yet so I'm hoping that someone here might possibly be able to offer a solution to my problem. Thanks to any and all that might offer their help!

2. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

What version of Yahoo Messenger are you using?

3. iamconfused

Oh, sorry, I should have included that information in my original message. I'm using Messenger 6.0. I've tried Messenger 7.0 but didn't like it all that well. I've tried uninstalling Messenger and have tried installing Messenger from 3 different websites but I get the same error message no matter what download I've used so I'm wondering if the problem isn't with Messenger specifically but something to do with my computer. I'm not familiar at all with what the Visual C ++ Library is but wouldn't that be something more computer oriented than Messenger oriented? Thanks for your reply:)

4. Cheeseball81

I didn't like Messenger 7.0 either ;). What I would try is uninstall any traces of Messenger from Add/Remove Programs. Then delete the Yahoo Messenger folder.

Go here: http://oldversion.com/program.php?n=yahoo
    Download version 6.1922.

I had success doing that. Let us know if that helps you.

5. iamconfused

Hi again, thanks for your advice with solving the problem I've had with Yahoo Messenger. I did as you said to do, although I couldn't delete the entire Yahoo folder presumably because I have some other Yahoo features, the toolbar, etc. also installed on my computer, but I deleted just the Messenger subfolder and, lo and behold, I was able to install the version of Messenger that you recommended and it's working!(y) So all is well with my Messenger once again. Thanks for your help Cheeseball!:)

6. Cheeseball81

You're welcome! :) I'm glad it helped.

You can mark your thread "Solved" from the Thread Tools drop down menu.
    Have a great day!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436643

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice