1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Processes & msonfig

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by techy689, Jan 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. techy689

techy689 Thread Starter

Alright, so is there anyway to help reduce your processes? I have set up msconfig, and only have around 12 programs starting up when my computer starts. I know that is quite a few, but the new McAfee I just bought uses about 4. (I know McAfee isn't the greatest security software but I have been using it flawlessly for a long time so that is why I like it.) I have AIM starting up, that is a preference, and I have the recguard, my nvidia controls, quicklaunch controls, and a couple other for my HP laptops extra features. However, I just checked, and I have 68 PROCESSSES running! That's a lot. Is there any other way other than msconfig to reduce background running processes, or any software which automatically does this?

Also, another thing. Whenever I use msconfig, I get an error saying "An Access Denied error was returned while attempting to change a service. You may need to log on using an Administrator account to make the specified changes." I have no idea why this is coming. I am the only Administrator on this computer (excluding the generic Microsoft Administrator in XP.). Also, when I log onto safe mode and change startup settings using the administrator account, I still get the same error. I ran the control userpassword2 system users utility and it has my account as an Administrator. I have even restored my whole system using the restore disks that are oem. I didn't have this error message before, but all of a sudden it is coming. Anyone know why?

2. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

12 items make for a long startup. i only have symantec av in msconfig/startup and get to the desktop in 45 secs.

3. techy689

techy689 Thread Starter

Yea, well the reason there are so many for McAfee is because I bought the total protection which really is a 10-1. There is the spam, virus, firewall, registry cleaner, pc optimizer, wireless network adjuster, a data backup feature, and a lot of other sweet stuff...

4. golferbob

golferbob

why don't you post a hijack log and let a pro look at it.

5. techy689

techy689 Thread Starter

Also, there is a feature which shows a green bar at the bottom of the screen when you adjust your volume. this is an hp process, and i do not want to end it. i am not sure exactly which one it is though...

6. techy689

techy689 Thread Starter

Anyone know why this happens?

7. kniht

kniht

I had this error message appear everytime I tried to use msconfig after installing IE7. After uninstalling IE7 and reverting back to IE6, I could use msconfig without the error message appearing.

I then did a registry hack to keep IE7 from downloading on my system automatically. When the bugs are out of IE7, I may download it again manually. IE7 may or may not be the cause of the error message in your case. Sometimes msconfig acting this way can be caused by a trojan. Have you run spyware/virus scans lately?

8. techy689

techy689 Thread Starter

well either way i restored my whole computer... so it has to be ie7

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536120

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice