1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Processor/RAM combo

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pntbllrspdr, Apr 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pntbllrspdr

pntbllrspdr Thread Starter

On a laptop which processor is better? NEW 2010 Intel® Core™ i7-720QM Quad Core Processor 1.6GHz (2.8GHz Turbo Mode, 6MB Cache) --OR-- NEW 2010 Intel® Core™ i5-430M 2.26GHz (2.53GHz Turbo Mode, 3M cache)? I'm assuming the i7 is better simply because it's higher, but I don't really know lol. Assuming it is, would it better better for me to go with the i7 and 4GB of RAM, or go with the i5 and 6GB of RAM?

Another question. Will I be able to upgrade my RAM on a laptop?

2. pntbllrspdr

Any ideas? The i7/4GB RAM combo is a bit cheaper than the other, but I'm not really sure what the difference is.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The i7 is a 4-core CPU that starts off at 1.6Ghz and Turbo's up to 2.8Ghz for a single core when all the cores are not needed, and it has 6MB of cache. The i5 is a 2-core CPU that can only turbo up to 2.53Ghz, and has half the cache. Both support HyperThreading to virtualize an additional 4 or 2 cores respectively.

2GB of RAM difference isn't huge, and if you go with a 32 bit version of Windows 7 then you can only use 4GB's of RAM, actually its really about 3.25GB. On most laptops you can either add or replace the RAM to increase the total, unless the max is already installed - this varies from model to model.

Also make note of other features in the laptop like the graphics cards, screen size, hard drive size and speed, weight and battery life.

4. pntbllrspdr

So the i7 would be a better choice for the proc.

The laptop I'm looking at come with the 64 bit version of Windows 7. 15" screen, 500GB 7200rpm SATA HDD, ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5470 1GB vid card, and a 85 Whr Lithium Ion Battery (9 cell).

I don't see anywhere what the max amount of RAM is on it, but 4GB is probably good right?

5. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Better, yes... but for what is your use? Basic gaming? Web surfing? Not worth the extra price I'd say. The i7 is for high end users, enthusiasts and professionals who demand the highest performance regardless of cost.

The i5 is a better rounded processor for the average user as far as performance per dollar.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    As mentioned an i5 is good enough for the average user, the i7 is geared for high performance users. i5 is generally the better value for the dollar.

If you post the model of the laptops you are looking at then we can tell you the max RAM.

4GB's is enough for most people, the rest of the specs are very good as well from what you posted, a decent video card and a large hard drive.

7. pntbllrspdr

Here are the full specs:

PROCESSORS NEW 2010 Intel® Core™ i7-720QM Quad Core Processor 1.6GHz (2.8GHz Turbo Mode, 6MB Cache) edit
    OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English edit
    MEMORY 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 at 1066MHz edit
    HARD DRIVE 500GB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) edit
    WARRANTY AND SERVICE 1 yr In-home Service after remote diagnosis + Your Tech Team edit
    VIDEO CARD ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5470, 1GB edit
    HD DISPLAY 15.6” High Definition (720p) LED Display with TrueLife™ and Camera/Facial Recognition SW edit
    WIRELESS CARDS Intel© Centrino© Advanced-N 6200 edit
    KEYBOARD Back-lit Keyboard edit
    BATTERY OPTIONS 85 Whr Lithium Ion Battery (9 cell) edit
    BLUETOOTH Dell Wireless 365 Bluetooth Internal (2.1) edit
    OPTICAL DRIVE 8X CD/DVD Burner + Roxio Easy CD & DVD Burning - Enhanced Burn/Authoring edit
    SOUND OPTIONS High Definition Audio 2.2

I'm not really sure if I should get that advanced intel centrino wireless card, or just go with the basic one and save $30

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    So is it a Dell, HP, etc?

The standard wireless card is likely a Wireless-G card? N offers faster speeds when paired with a Wireless-N router and greater range. Centrino is a branding with the Intel chipset and processor and wireless card, I doubt that alone would raise the price $30.

9. pntbllrspdr

It's Dell. I believe I can choose from a G or N. The advanced Centrino one is an extra $30. Do those specs sound good for a laptop?

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yes, they are good.

11. pntbllrspdr

Alrighty, I think this is the one I'll go with. Thanks for all the info!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918421

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice