1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Processor registering slow

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by marljac, Jan 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. marljac

marljac Thread Starter

I have a 2.4 G P4 processor and I recently realized that it's showing up as "1800mhz." I know it used to register at 2400mhz and have no idea what this means. Is there a BIOS setting that could fix it or is it a more significant issue?
    Thanks

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Is this a laptop or desktop?

Generally, you can find settings in the BIOS for the multiplier that can be changed for some CPU's and some BIOS.

Some laptops reduce their speed under certain circumstances for power-saving. It is interesting that the speed is exactly 75% of full speed and in a 3:4 ratio, indicating a multiplier.

3. marljac

marljac Thread Starter

It's a desktop. I just found and ran WCPUID and it says my internal clock speed is 1804.08mhz and the multiplier is 18 and system clock is 100.23mhz. Should I check in the BIOS to change the multiplier to 24?
    Thanks

4. prunejuice

prunejuice

Your Front Side Bus on that system should be set to 133.

For some reason, it reset itself to a default of 100.

5. marljac

marljac Thread Starter

Any idea how that could happen? Can it be reset and if so how?

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

If nothing was changed on the board (jumpers) and you are sure that the speed was higher before, then something must have changed in the BIOS. Look around there for what options are available.

7. marljac

marljac Thread Starter

I adjusted it in the BIOS and it all looks good. Somehow the processor speed was set to manual instead of automatic. Thanks for your help!!

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Did I sense a certain reluctance on your part to enter BIOS setup? As you discovered, it's not really all that dangerous, especially since there is always the default settings option.

Glad you figured it out. I bet things are a bit faster now, but did it get changed, or did you just notice this for the first time?

9. marljac

marljac Thread Starter

It did get changed. When you mentioned the BIOS I then remembered recently playing with some of those setings. Again, thanks for your help!!

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

Oh, OK. So it wasn't kids, gremlins, or saboteurs.[​IMG]

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/671984

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice