1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Processor Speed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sexnage, Sep 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sexnage

sexnage Thread Starter

Hi there, I need advice. I have 2 kids and they both have laptops. I bought them the game Final Fantasy 14 ( what a pain). The game installed with no probelm. The problem is running the game. Its so slow and its like playing in slow motion. Meaning that the characters moves so slow, at least 10 secods after the key has been pressed. My opinion is that probably the processor in the laptops might be causing the slow down.

Laptop number one description:
    Windows Vista Home Premium 32bits
    Hp Pavillion DV6700
    Processor: Intel Core (TM) 2 Duo CPU [email protected]
    memory: 3gb

Laptop number 2 description:
    Windows Vista Home Premium 32Bits
    Compaq Pressario CQ60 Notebook
    Processor: AMD Athlon Dual Core QL-32 2.00 Ghz
    Memory : 2.00GB

I have done all the updates, video card, windows, and directX and the problem persists. Any help or advice will be greatly appreciate it.

Thank you much

Jaime

2. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

Hey there,

Playing any games on any laptop is often not a good idea as laptops don't usually have the graphics ability to play anything more than an internet based game.

Your core i3 computer has a fairly fast intel CPU but it only has an Nvidia 8400 256mb which for a game as detailed as final fantasy 14 is not enough. On the internet the requirements are at least 512mb 9600GT graphics card.

Your AMD Athlon also doesn't have enough graphics power to run that game correctly. This laptop only has the Nvidia 8200M which is also way underpowered to play that game.

Final fantasy will most likely work on good desktop PC's or really high end laptops due to how much power it requires. You could try turning the graphics settings down such as the resolution and the graphics detail settings to make it a bit more playable.

Jack-O-Bytes

3. sexnage

sexnage Thread Starter

You are absolutely correct about the graphics information. Is there a way to upgrade the video cards on these laptops??? or I should just try to buy them new ones in the future?? please advice.

thank you

Jaime

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Almost all laptops cannot be upgraded in regard to video. The very few that can use real video cards; not onboard video.

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    well you could think about a desktop for the kids to share - but you will be chasing hardware again in a few years
    or a consule like xbox, ps3 etc

6. sexnage

sexnage Thread Starter

thanks guys, I really appreciate the time and the advice. I think a desktop will be better for them. Easy to upgrade compare to Laptops. I thank you very much for your help.

Thanks

Jaime

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

A desktop with multiple user accounts would work pretty well; each kid can have their own account, logon, etc. You can be the admin and determine what rights the users will have ie can they install software, etc.

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    and a nice big flat screen these days quite cheaply

9. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

Yeah my friend runs his computer on about a 32" flat screen he got for £300 which is roughly $370 I think. Very cheap but works brilliantly. You can then also use it for a TV and DVD player things like that as well.

Jack-O-Bytes

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/952719

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice