1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Processor Type

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SBruce, Jan 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SBruce

SBruce Thread Starter

I have a NVIDEA GeFORCE 6600LX 256mb card now. I am thinking of getting an ATI Radeon 9550 256mb graphics card. I use AGP connection. I increased from a 128mb card by NVIDEA . It had an AGP 2X/4X slot. The 6600 card has an AGP 4X/8X slot. The Radeon card has 4X/8x AGP slot. Can anyone tell me which is the better card/processor. I do a lot of Flight Simming which requires a good card. I am running Xp with Pent 4/ 2.4 ghz processor on an 80GB and 250GB H/Drive
    Bruce.

2. schusterjo

schusterjo

You would not notice a difference in graphics between the 2 cards.

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

Stay where you are your card is better.

4. SBruce

SBruce Thread Starter

I wanted to thank Schusterjo and Rich-m for their comments. I will consider this item closed.
    Thanks again
    Bruce

5. Compiler

Compiler

If you want something better - none of the $50~80 cards are going to do anything more than what you have. Next worthwhile speed bump is the 7600GT (AGP version) which is about $200 or the half speed 7600gs at $125.

6. SBruce

SBruce Thread Starter

Thanks Compiler, I will look into these cards further. Is the Nvidea card better than the radeon card?
    Bruce

7. Compiler

Compiler

Nvidia. And you should refer by their model names. 6600lx vs 9550, I'd say the 6600lx could be better. I honestly don't keep up with the lower end cards (sub $100) as I consider them nothing more than DVI out-put add-on cards for business PCs. There are very few reviews of such cards.

Look at this chart for most current products:
    http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics.html

I never heard of a 6600lx, but I would guess it performs like a 7300GS (2nd green from the bottom) and that would be with a Core2 system... so take such scores and cut it by 50% will be a rough estimate of your performance.

So if you went to a 7800GS = then your frame rate would ber about 70fps rather than 16fps) But at that price range, ATI's 1950PRO AGP card is the very best - at $200 - which is the same or cheaper than 7600GT-AGP or 7800gs-AGP.

Read this: http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/01/10/agp-platform-analysis

Hey, I just found something. the 6600XL is an OEM card made for only a few manufactures. It sits between a 6600GT and 6600(plain). So that chart above would put you about 25~30fps and its EASILY better than the 9550.

Also, video RAM doesn't always mean better. 256mb on a slow card will not make it fast.
    The 4200-64mb card will always murder a 256mb GF 5200 or 5500 card.

You may enter a cross road. $200 for an upgrade card will give you a better gaming experince... and is fine if you're not planning on upgrading for over a year. But if your PC is feeling slow - that $200 could go towards a new system in which $150 gaming card would do just as fast... No more AGP systems are built. But with flight-sims, I think your system can last you for quite a while.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/535994

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice