1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Processor Upgrading

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by skoot1, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. skoot1

skoot1 Thread Starter

I have a Dell Inspiron One which has 8 gb of ram and a 500 gb harddrive with W7,
    I am trying to upgrade from i3 dual core to i5 quad or dual core but I can't get anyone to tell which parts to buy do I need a new motherboard, or just the processor? My computer is fairly new and has a H-61 chipset but the newness of the computer seems to be my hinderance in upgrading they either say it is oh so expensive or why do you want to do this. I thought this was my option , I have a little bit of time and money so stop being so concerned. Could you either give me this info. or help me find out where I can get it?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  3. ETech7

ETech7

Just go to newegg, pick a processor and see if it's compatible with your MBs socket and chipset. Read reviews.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Just because a mb socket supports a given cpu family ie socket 1155, AM3+ or whatever does NOT mean it supports all cpus based on said socket. You must consult the board maker's cpu support list OR in this case the system builder ie dell.

Doing what you posted can very well result in a no boot condition or worse [If you install a 125W cpu into a board that only supports 95W then you are asking for melted parts on the board or a small fire]

5. ETech7

ETech7

It'll be hard to find 125W LGA1155 beast. I believe currently 95W for i5 is the most, but of course always check with manufacturer.

6. Simba7

Simba7

I agree. I can't find a 125w LGA1155 chip.

Heck, even a i5-2500k is only 95w. What's the original processor in this system (i3-?????)?

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

He still must contact dell to see what cpus are supported. Unless the bios has the correct microcode to run a given cpu, it is not going to work correctly.

Most of the time IF the cpu you want to install was an option for the system in question, it is going to work fine. If it was not an option, then you will most likely have problems. Dell [or any other big box mfg] has no vested interest in you upgrading an existing system; they would prefer you purchase a new system.

8. skoot1

skoot1 Thread Starter

Contacting Dell for cpu microcodes, as I remember this all-in-one gave you a choice of which cpu you wanted i.e. i3,i5,i7 so i might have gotten lucky seeing as I purchased this unit with the i3 to save money.
    Thanks A Bunch
    crjdriver

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090066

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice