1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Program File Bootconf.exe

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Mackoo, Sep 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mackoo

Mackoo Thread Starter

After I ran the Spybot software it showed the program file Bootconf.exe. I am afraid to do anything until I check with you all. Should this file be deleted and will the Spybot software do it for me when I click on fix problems without me having to go to the registry?

Also what is this file Bootconf.exe?

Thanks

Mackoo

2. walkeriam

walkeriam

3. Mackoo

Mackoo Thread Starter

Ok thanks I do this Walkeriam

4. Mackoo

Mackoo Thread Starter

When I go to Internet Options and click on Use Default, ??? shows in the slot. I have never seen this before.

Should I be concerned with this and how can I get it back to what it's suppose to be?

Mackoo

5. BlueSpruce

BlueSpruce

Hi Mackoo ,

Please do the following ,

Download CWShredder www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/cwshredder.zip
    Close all browser windows , check the Taskbar for minimized windows as well , Run CWShredder.

Shutdown & Reboot your computer

Download , configure , and run Ad-aware 6.0 Personal , Build 6.181 according to the following Reference Guide http://forums.techguy.org/t164245/s0bd00da6e0f7008495f1c26aa8c2e08c.html

Next , Download SpywareBlaster v2.6.1 and SpywareGuard v2.2 for the prevention of both Spyware Active X installation and running , and Browser Hijacking protection in real-time http://www.wilderssecurity.net/index.html

Finally , Download Hijack This 1.97 www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/ Press the scan button , Scan button becomes Save log button (Do not fix anything yet) , Save the log in the same folder Hijack This resides in , Copy and Paste the log to the forum.

Good luck

6. mobo

mobo

Sounds like you clicked the wrong default tab...Try tools/internet options/security tab then default and apply
    as well as advanced tab/default/apply..

7. Mackoo

Mackoo Thread Starter

I have the Hijackthis software already but can't remember how to copy and paste it here. I did it once before and I know I can do it again.

Mackoo

8. winchester73

winchester73

Assuming you have HT 1.97 already ...

Scan
    That button becomes "save log" when the scan is completed ... click it
    Save logfile window pops-up ... save
    The Notepad window pop-up will have the logfile text
    Right click, Select All
    Right click, Copy
    Come here and Paste

If you have an older version of HT, you can update from within the program that you have installed.

9. Mackoo

Mackoo Thread Starter

Ok after running scan and when I click on save microsoft binder pops up and there is nothing there with the log. I don't remember seeing this before when I did this.

Any suggestions?

Mackoo

10. Mackoo

Mackoo Thread Starter

I just downloaded the newer version I believe of Hijackthis in the Winzip Quick Pick does this sound right? And if it is I can't get it to open to run the scan like the old one I had. I follow the instructions but it won't open. How do I get this open to run a scan?

Mackoo

11. walkeriam

walkeriam

Did you do the first three steps of BlueSpruce post above?

When you went to INTERNET OPTIONS instead of clicking on USE DEFAULT, just type your home in the box like http://www.msn.com then click APPLY down at the bottom and click OK. That should set your default home page for you.

I have no clue what you are talking about when you say "microsoft binder pops up" or "Winzip Quick Pick".

Please give better details.
    Thanks

12. Mackoo

Mackoo Thread Starter

Thanks Walkeriam for responsing. All I can say is when I downloaded what I thought was the newer version of Hijackthis from it website given and when I went to open after downloading and even on my desktop it says WinzipQuick Pick something I didn't see on the other Hijackthis software.

The Microsoft binder comes up after I clicked save for the save log but that was on the other Hijackthis software and what I have now I am like you can't figure this out.

Tomorrow I will try another download of Hijackthis and see if I can get this to work right I will keep you posted.

Everything is different can't figure it out either.

Mackoo

13. BlueSpruce

BlueSpruce

Hi Mackoo ,

Try the following , Press and hold down the Shift key , Left click , then Right click the Hijack This.zip File , Click open with , Scroll down to WinZip , Put a check in ''Always use this program to open this type of file'' , Click ok.

Next , Right click your mouse on your DeskTop , select New , Scroll down to and click Text Document , A new Text Document.txt should appear on your Desktop , Press and hold down the Shift key , Left click then Right click the New Text Document.txt , Click open with , Scroll down to NOTEPAD , Put a check in '' Always use this program to open this type of file'' , Click ok. Right click and delete the New Text Document.txt File.

Open the Hijack This.zip , Click Extract , Select Desktop , Click Extract. Hijack This.exe should appear on your Desktop , follow the instructions in winchester73's post #8.

Good luck

14. Mackoo

Mackoo Thread Starter

Ok I have this copy from Hijackthis but when I highlight copy and then try to paste it won't paste here. I remember doing something once before when I pasted here and can't remember but it worked like magic.

Any suggestion?

Mackoo

15. Mackoo

Mackoo Thread Starter

Here it is finally the scan log from Hijackthis. The copy and paste step I had to rename the Hijackthis file to Hijackthis.txt and it worked like magic.

Thanks for the patience and I will wait for a reply in what to do next.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.96.1
    Scan saved at 5:45:53 PM, on 9/17/03
    Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE\MCAFEE VIRUSSCAN\AVSYNMGR.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE\MCAFEE VIRUSSCAN\VSSTAT.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE\MCAFEE VIRUSSCAN\VSHWIN32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\REAL\REALPLAYER\REALPLAY.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE\MCAFEE SHARED COMPONENTS\GUARDIAN\CMGRDIAN.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE\MCAFEE SHARED COMPONENTS\INSTANT UPDATER\RULAUNCH.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\WINZIP\WZQKPICK.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\AMERICA ONLINE 8.0A\AOL.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\AMERICA ONLINE 8.0A\WAOL.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE\MCAFEE INTERNET SECURITY\GD32.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE\MCAFEE FIREWALL\CPD.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE\MCAFEE FIREWALL\CPD.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE\MCAFEE INTERNET SECURITY\GUARDDOG.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE\MCAFEE INTERNET SECURITY\GUARDDOG.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\WINZIP\WINZIP32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSM.EXE
    C:\UNZIPPED\HIJACKTHIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

O3 - Toolbar: McAfee VirusScan - {ACB1E670-3217-45C4-A021-6B829A8A27CB} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE\MCAFEE VIRUSSCAN\VSCSHELLEXTENSION.DLL
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RealTray] C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [McAfee Guardian] "C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee Shared Components\Guardian\CMGrdian.exe" /SU
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [McAfeeVirusScanService] C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee VirusScan\AVSYNMGR.EXE
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [McAfee.InstantUpdate.Monitor] "C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee Shared Components\Instant Updater\RuLaunch.exe" /STARTMONITOR
    O4 - Startup: AOL Companion.lnk = C:\Program Files\AOL Companion\companion.exe
    O4 - Startup: America Online 8.0 Tray Icon.lnk = C:\Program Files\America Online 8.0a\aoltray.exe
    O4 - Startup: WinZip Quick Pick.lnk = C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
    O9 - Extra button: Real.com (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: Related (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links (HKLM)
    O16 - DPF: {30528230-99F7-4BB4-88D8-FA1D4F56A2AB} (YInstStarter Class) - http://download.yahoo.com/dl/installs/yinst.cab
    O16 - DPF: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} (Update Class) - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/CAB/x86/ansi/iuctl.CAB?37819.5055324074
    O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\VxD\MSTCP: Domain = aoldsl.net

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165015

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice