1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: 'Program Files' folder, access denied

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mrcobbler, Oct 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mrcobbler

mrcobbler Thread Starter

Windows XP; Dell 1.7
    Norton SystemWorks 2002
    Norton AV 2003
    NAV definitions up to date, system checked today, no viruses.

I messed with Norton Waste Basket yesterday, trying to get rid of the
    'Access Denied' bootup message as seen on another thread here. Messed with taking ownership of files in SAFE mode. Finally scared myself, restored the system from earlier in the day, all looked fine again. Now I can't access the 'Program Files' folder (didn't try yesterday, so it probably didn't work then either). I must have messed with administrator rights or something. I'm the only user of this machine, although we have a four-machine home network set up, direct cables to a router.

Error message when attempting to access Program Files folder:
    C:\ Program Files is not accessible.
    Access Denied.

Sounds like an authorization issue. I use no passwords to log in, I am the only User on this machine.
    What can I try next?

Steve

2. fhaslangka

fhaslangka

try to log in using the administrator account then set ownership.

3. mrcobbler

mrcobbler Thread Starter

Thanks, fhaslangka,
    I did just that and I think the problem is solved.
    Apparently when I was in there yesterday I highlited the 'Administrator' user and messed with the folder/file ownership. There was also a 'Administrator(s)' userid, and that was the one I should have been using. The dual ownership of ME and the SYSTEM, I guess, so we both can access all the files.
    Thanks for quick reply here.

Steve

4. fhaslangka

fhaslangka

Not a thing bro! just mark it solved! Good Luck to you...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/282232

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice