1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Program Files (x86) completely corrupted?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by qbsean10, Aug 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. qbsean10

qbsean10 Thread Starter

Hello, I've had my new laptop for just a week preloaded with Vista and it's already suffered some serious trauma. Earlier today there was a system notification alerting me that my Common Files folder was corrupted. I restarted the computer only to find the entire Program Files (x86) folder to be corrupted and unaccessible. Only this folder though, as the normal Program Files folder, My Docs, and the Windows folder all run fine.

Currently no programs load because the folder is corrupted, and it's impossible to run CheckDisk or System Restore. I have no idea what to do here, aside from reformatting the entire drive. I haven't downloaded any strange files or anything either, and Windows Defender found no errors or malware. This is really frustrating and I'd appreciate any insight on the matter.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Why is it impossible to run chkdsk?

It sounds like file system corruption, and possibly disk failure.

3. qbsean10

qbsean10 Thread Starter

I schedule it to run on startup but after the computer restarts I get a notification saying that the folder is corrupt and then it just loads the desktop.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Boot from the DVD and run chkdsk from there. If no DVD, try a recovery CD.

Vista Recovery Disk ISO Image

You better return the laptop. If this is not malware, the drive or memory is shot.

Try using Vista's memory test on boot.

5. qbsean10

qbsean10 Thread Starter

I've got the disc so I'll give that a shot. If that doesn't work, should I attempt a reformat, or do you think that will just render the whole system useless? This has been working for a week now, so I don't know how a brand new drive can just fail like that.

6. qbsean10

qbsean10 Thread Starter

I booted the system's repair diagnostic tools and the disk check program somehow managed to fix whatever problem I had. The computer now runs fine with all programs loading normally and the folder now operating fine. I have no idea what happened or how it was fixed, but I'm very grateful for your help. Crisis averted, thanks!

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Hope it stays that way. I think an occasional chkdsk /f on all drives is part of good maintenance. If done from the DVD (offline), even better because it's also possible that chkdsk itself can get corrupted on the hard drive.

Congratulations. :D

Brand new things can and do fail. I'm not trying to jinx you, but keep an eye on that thing. You paid good money for it and if it isn't right, you should get it taken care of. Hopefully, it was just a fluke, improper shutdown, or something else that led to your problems.

Out of curiosity, what boot disk did you use?

If you have an external drive, make periodic "images" of your entire drive when the machine is working well. Then, even if the drive did fail completely, you could easily restore your operating system and all your prohgrams and everything else to a fixed or new hard drive.

This one is free and good. Just make the recovery CD so you can restore the image if need be (the Linux boot CD is fine):

Macrium Reflect

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/738334

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice