1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Program Icons Replaced by Generic Icon

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jimcrockett, Dec 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jimcrockett

jimcrockett Thread Starter

Windows 7, Home Premium edition

I was experimenting with DPI Scaling and changed from 125% to 150%. Didn't like that so returned to 125% and when I returned to the desktop, all of the program icons had a generic icon that appears to be overlaid. Haven't been able to find anything to return the icons to normal.

Looks like this: [​IMG]

Would like to go back to the program icons. Any help would be appreciated.

Jim

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

3. jimcrockett

Phantom010, I tried deleting the IconCache.db file, as you suggested. No change, still have the overlaid generic icons.

Thanks for your response, though.

Jim

4. Phantom010

5. jimcrockett

You hit the nail on the head - it is definitely a problem with Icon Overlays, which I had never heard of before. I followed the suggested procedure and, although the 29 key value was different in Win7 (empty.ico.0 vs noicon.ico for Vista), when I deleted the key and rebooted the pc, the icons now display correctly. Very strange problem!

Thanks again for your help. Don't know that I would ever have found it just searching.

6. Phantom010

You're welcome! (y)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029844

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice