1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Program Launchers all have default .exe(?)

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by CluelessPanda, Jan 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CluelessPanda

CluelessPanda Thread Starter

In summary i have no idea of what's going on so i'll just spew as much info as possible. :confused::confused::confused:

All i can tell is that on all of my programs, it will try to launch in the selected default program, for example Mozilla firefox. (Pic 1)

I can change the default program, and everything works fine, I just always have to go into documents go to the program files and select the correct program file to launch my desired program. (Pic 2)

How it happened, I can only vaguely remember, I'm pretty sure it was when i was trying to play an audio file from a folder in documents, and when i changed the player to itunes a number of the programs pinned to my taskbar started changing icons to itunes, and when i tried to launch one of them it would simply pull up itunes again, basically where I am now.

I was going to post this under virus since that was my initial suspicion but looking through all my computers programs and files nothing's changed, that and i wasn't even connected to the internet at the time it occurred. That and none of the programs are corrupted or something like that since they all work perfectly fine when I'm able to launch them.

In terms of system info all I know is that it's using Windows 7, other then that i haven't the slightest idea.

Hopefully this turns out to be a stupid question and mistake making it easy to reverse, but for now it's been a huge inconvenience and well just plain annoying as hell. :mad:
    Thank you in advance to anyone who can help!! :D

Attached Files:

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Try both the EXE and LNK fixes, one at the time, following this procedure:

Save the .reg file to your desktop. Double-click it to merge it to the registry.

Restart the computer.

If the fix only opens as a text file (in Notepad), right-click the file (before opening it) and select Open With > Choose Program... Then, select the Registry Editor.

If the Registry Editor is not in the list, browse to C:\WINDOWS and select regedit.

3. CluelessPanda

CluelessPanda Thread Starter

Alrighty awesome the EXE fix worked, thank you so much!! :D

4. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

You're welcome!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1116848

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice