[Solved] programmes open in black screen

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

tracy26

Can someone please help me?

I am running windows xp, and when I start my computer it has a black toolbar, every time you try and open a programme, or click on anything, the window is black, and there is a black line, 2cm wide, down the right hand side of the screen. Some icons you can see, like the yellow ones, but nothing else. It is totally black. Other than that, the computer starts up fine, full colour, and apart from the black toolbar, it looks fairly normal.

You can click around, and open other windows, or try to do things, but because they open in a full black window you cannot read the text, you can't do anything.

I don't know if it is a setting, I have tried going into safe mode, but it still comes up black when you open programmes. When you click on the start button to shut down, the shut down window is full colour, so I am hoping someone can help me.

Maybe it's a virus, but can't run my virus programme because once opened, can't see what it is doing or results.

Any ideas??

Thanks
Tracy

Check all connections between your PC and the Monitor. Disconnect and reconnect the video cable, to eliminate the possibility of a connection problem first.

Try rightclick the program then compatibility then disable visual themes and run this program in windows 98/ME

I Don't know if it will work but i hope it will work

tracy26

I have disconnected and reconnected cables, and when I right click a programme, the window that appears is completely black, nothing can be seen.

Thanks for suggestions though!

Tracy

Your theme may be corrupted. Try to get into services and disable themes, and if you can't and you have another computer on your network, run MMC and remotely connect and disable the service.

tracy26

It was the theme. Took alot of hard work because I couldn't see what I was doing, just had to click around, but everything is fine with a new theme.

Thanks everyone.

Tracy

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online