1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Programs just stopped working

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Isaactheman, Mar 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isaactheman

Isaactheman Thread Starter

I recently got CA Internet Security free with a purchase on Tigerdirect, so I installed it. I didn't like it, so I uninstalled it and went back to AVG Free. Well, now a bunch of programs will not work properly.

MSN Messenger - Opens normally, but can not sign in. It shows an error and if you click "Troubleshoot" it freezes.

Yahoo! Messenger - Opens normally, but can not sign in either.

Internet Explorer - Opens normally, but can not load any site; just a blank screen, until I hit stop. Sometimes freezes in Internet Options menu.

Outlook 2002 - Can send and receive e-mail fine, but sometimes freezes when doing things like adding an account.

WS_FTP - Can access my website and allows me to edit things on the website, but will not let me send things to the website. Gives me an error.

Winamp - Loads after opening it twice, freezes randomly, etc. I uninstalled this.

Windows Media Player 7 - Freezes when first opening. I just use Classic Media Player now.

I know the internet works fine, because I currently use SeaMonkey for my browsing/e-mail and AIM for my instant messaging. Anyone have any ideas on what I should do to fix this? btw, I'm using Windows 2000.

2. Isaactheman

It might not have anything to do with the CA Internet Security software, but it was around that time everything started acting this way. Any tips to get IE, and any of the other programs, to work would be much appreciated. Anyone?

3. Isaactheman

I forgot about "Automatic Updates" in Control Panel. I was able to use that to install some new updates and at least one of them took care of the problems. IE works fine, as well as some others. I haven't tested it all yet, but it seems to be working well now.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/554683

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice